• Friendswood, TX
Votes |
Exchange from Personal Ownership to Multiple Owners/Partnership

Brian Slater
  • Investor
  • Friendswood, TX
Posted Aug 26 2016, 13:02

Hi all,

I am going through the research now on doing a 1031 exchange from a single family home where I have seen decent appreciation (and also was my first SFR, so I put more into it than I should have!). I will have a decent amount of proceeds from this sale and I would like to invest into a multifamily deal. I have discussed the idea with a friend who is also in the REI space and we are considering a partnership on the new multifamily unit. I know 1031 exchanges must be same taxpayer to same taxpayer, and it seems like so far the only viable option I have found is via a Tenant in Common structure.

My worry is that the TIC doesn't provide creditor and/or liability protection considering that the multifamily unit would be in my name and my partner's name.

Are there any solutions I am missing here, or is this just a side effect of the 1031?  

I am a ways away from making any sort of move here, I am just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I consider the sale and do my due diligence on finding the MF purchase.  

Thanks,

Brian

Loading replies...