Andrew Mykletun
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
1031 exchange with multiple properties

Andrew Mykletun
  • Houston, TX
Posted Feb 1 2017, 09:24

Hi BP members,

I am looking to sell multiple SFH investment rentals, some that have will have positive capital gains, while others that will have some negative capital gains (just the situation that I am currently in). To avoid the capital gain taxes, I am planning either 1) Not doing a 1031 exchange and hoping that the negative capital gains will offset the positive capital gains by selling more rental properties, or 2) a 1031 Exchange and then to purchase a more expensive SFH rental. However, as I do not know the rules of what I can do well enough, I have a few questions below that I was hoping to get clarity on:

1. Would the negative capital gains offset the positive capital gains if I sell multiple rental properties, meaning that my overall capital gain tax would be less, regardless of whether I carry out a 1031 exchange?  If 'yes', I am guessing that as long as I sell the rental properties within the same year then the offset should apply?

2. Would the negative capital gains offset the positive capital gains if I sell multiple rental properties, meaning that my overall capital gain tax would be less, allowing me to then carry out a 1031 exchange on that difference?  If 'yes' within what time frame do I need to sell all those rental properties and then purchase another rental home in order to qualify for the 1031 Exchange?

3. I am assuming I would have to pay the 1031 Exchange fee on each rental properties sold or is there a way to bulk them together and pay the fee once? 

Any feedback from someone who has gone through this would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

Loading replies...