1031 Exchange to Primary while converting to rental?

1031 Exchange to Primary while converting to rental?

Rental Property Investor · Richmond VA - Waianae HI · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes

I've been unofficially advised this is not OK, but thought I'd ask.

I have just sold my rental property that's all set up for a 1031 exchange (45 days starts today).  I also have my primary residence that I've considered renting out when we move.  Is it possible to invest the exchange proceeds into the property that I already own (refinance and add equity) while converting it to an investment property?

Thanks for any advice!

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Jody Des Roches It can’t be used involving a primary residence .
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Jody D., the 1031 exchange is a sale of investment property followed by a purchase of new investment property.  You cannot exchange into a property you already own.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond VA - Waianae HI · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Thank you both for the confirmation.  I'll continue the seach for a new investment.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.