• Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Can I do 1031 after subdivision?

Chunyan Song
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Dec 27 2017, 21:59
My partner and I own a rental SFH in Seattle area. We are going to do subdivision and split the lot into 2. I can do 1031 exchange at this point right? We are also entertaining the idea of tearing down the existing house, and building two houses on the split lots. If I tear down, build and sell, can I still do 1031 exchange when selling?

User Stats

Votes
Chunyan Song
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Dec 28 2017, 00:04

PS: at the time of subdivision, I would have owned the house for 2 years and it’s rented out the whole time.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Dec 29 2017, 20:09

@Chunyan Song, This is an interesting question.  Most folks believe that performing legal partition only to change entitlements does not constitute the creation of new real estate.  It is simply matching up the real estate to it's best and highest potential use.  In that case to simply sell the property with new entitlements would still be an appropriate 1031 exchange opportunity.  Every accountant will have a different take so make sure yours in on board.

It's pretty clear that once you turn a shovel to change the property you are creating new real estate.  And when you do that  you create difficulties in the IRS verifying that your intent was to hold for productive use.  So if you were to split the lots legally and then build on the lots that would most definitely be creating new real estate with a new holding window to establish intent.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chunyan Song
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Dec 30 2017, 11:17

Thank you so much Dave! We are planning to rent it out for a bit after construction to establish intent. Hope it works out!