DST's for a 1031 exchange - Anybody been burned by these?

DST's for a 1031 exchange - Anybody been burned by these?

Investor · Amherst, NH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 4 votes

Hi,

I am researching these for a 1031 exchange.  Anyone have good or bad experiences with these?

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
7y

I've collected historical data on as many DST deals and TIC deals as I can from multiple sponsors. From the larger ships, there is some variation in returns, but most return as expected or better.

I’d watch out for smaller, less established shops. We have seen a few deals that went very bad from these sponsors. Not to say these are all bad, but I’d dig deep before investing.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
    7y

    I've collected historical data on as many DST deals and TIC deals as I can from multiple sponsors. From the larger ships, there is some variation in returns, but most return as expected or better.

    I’d watch out for smaller, less established shops. We have seen a few deals that went very bad from these sponsors. Not to say these are all bad, but I’d dig deep before investing.

  • Investor · Amherst, NH · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks! Have you invested in these? Is aei or inland good sponsors?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Pete Z.:

    Hi,

    I am researching these for a 1031 exchange.  Anyone have good or bad experiences with these?

    What I learned is that it is better to have the closing for the property you are selling and buying at the same closing company (if possible). Assuming that same closing company can handle the 1031, then it goes really smoothly. 

    The other thing to be aware of is the time frames to select the new property. That can put some pressure on things.

    It is all pretty easy as long as there is good communications.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    DST's are a good option but they'e a Reg D offering for a reason.

    You need to be an accredited investor- meaning the IRS is assuming you to be a  more savvy investor who is knowledgeable on this type of risk. 

    Inland and Passco are the two sponsors I went with when I launched the passive REI area of the Advisory firm where I worked. I'd trust most deals from both. We had an extensive due diligence worksheet we used to vet each deal before we referred clients into it as our advisers were all Fiduciaries and we needed to refer based on the clients best interest.

    @Leslie Pappas wrote the book on DST's. I'd reach out to her.

  • John FortesPro Member
    Multi-Family Syndicator · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 603 posts · 347 votes
    7y

    Just be aware of the time you have to find your next property once you close out of the previous and are 1031 exchanging. Work with a reputable company that can manage the process for you. 

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    Thanks Natalie- that’s very kind of you.  Best- Leslie

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.