Reinvesting trust sale proceeds back into same property with 1031

Reinvesting trust sale proceeds back into same property with 1031

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I am a beneficiary of a 5 member family trust that owns several commercial rental properties. We are all getting up in age and looking to sell the trust assets and close the trust. An investment group wants to purchase the properties. They have offered me the opportunity to participate in their purchase (for a preferred return)  by re-investing my proceeds from the trust sale back into the same properties.

So I have 2 questions:

A. Can I do this?

B. Can I avoid capital gains and depreciation recapture of the initial sale by using a 1031 exchange or another vehicle?

Thanks,

0Reply
30 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Bump?

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    A. Yes, but why

    B No

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    A: I don't have any control over the trust and for political reasons I'll just say it is being poorly run/abused by another family member. This is an opportunity for me to get out of the investment/trust from the other family members.

    Because it is a trust I don't think I can bring in another investor to buy the other members out of the trust? I believe all the assets of the trust have to be sold to close the trust thus triggering a tax event on the property that I don't necessarily want to get out of?

    I have invested with the new investor before, and this is an opportunity for me to re-invest my returns into a known investment that provides a quality return. I was hoping to basically do an asset transfer from one legal entity to another without having to pay the taxes on the previous gains at this point.

    B: What rules am I breaking that won't allow this type of 1031 transaction? Is there another way to do this?


    Any knowledge you guys can give on this on this would be helpful.  I am trying to educate myself a bit before I sit with my attorney.

    Thanks,

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Jeremy Cart, the trust is a tax paying entity.  So only the trust is able to do a 1031 exchange.  You cannot 1031 your interest in the trust.  

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks Dave...

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks Dave...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.