Do you look closely at DST PPM-s yourself?

Do you look closely at DST PPM-s yourself?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 13 votes

I have reviewed several PPM-s for DST-s. I wonder what do others look at closely? I usually do look at:

* Property location, business plan, environment. Main employers? Is it a growing area? Personal prior knowledge or ask family friends, or google. Weather, other risks.

* Sponsor's prior experience, results.

* Forecasted cash flow. If they plan x% rent increase yearly, is that feasible?, etc.

Btw this is for a list of DST-s that my financial advisor already selected. I definitely could not look at all of them...

Recently I ruled out a DST that was a NNN lease on a medical use facility. It was a small property (compared to others I looked at) with 4-5 million valuation. Monthly rent was just under 300k. The expenses included 4200 bank fee per month and 15k asset management fee per month. I thought that these are unnecessarily high for a NNN property. (There is a single rent payer!)

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
6y

@Matyas A. S. Some sponsors will supply 3rd party due diligence called a Mick report. This is very useful to dig in beyond the assumptions in the PPM.

There are also other independent 3rd parties that have deep experience reviewing PPMs. Send me a DM and I’ll share contact info.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 53 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Matyas A. S. I would say all of those considerations you listed are valid. In order of importance in my opinion, I would go with the second one first, followed by your first choice, and then lastly the cash flow one. Another element you should certainly consider is any LTV baked into the program. Have a great weekend ahead!

  • Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
    6y

    @Matyas A. S. Some sponsors will supply 3rd party due diligence called a Mick report. This is very useful to dig in beyond the assumptions in the PPM.

    There are also other independent 3rd parties that have deep experience reviewing PPMs. Send me a DM and I’ll share contact info.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Ask your adviser what they do to vet the deals. They may have done a lot of the leg work. 

    When I launched the passive investment department at an advisory firm I had to develop a pretty intensive due diligence sheet. 

    If the adviser is a fiduciary they should have something similar too. 

    We analyzed everything from debt, insurance coverage regarding risks of the area, ect

  • Financial Advisor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 96 votes
    6y

    @Chad Kolinsky Mick goes deeper. You are correct, some sponsors will provide others ask you to pay for the 3rd party report.

  • Financial Advisor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 53 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    I like to review the PPM with my clients, then get our DST sponsor on the phone to go over the PPM in more detail to make sure the client fully understands the risks/fees associated with a DST and really understand the property that they will be investing in.

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Matyas A. S. Just checking in... did you find a DST? How is it going for you?

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    5y

    @Matyas A. S., I know it's been a while but what did you decide? 

    It's important to have the advice and perspective of an industry old-timer, in my opinion.

    If you're still figuring out what to do and need any help, feel free to contact me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.