Can I 1031 my earnings from a partner deal?

Can I 1031 my earnings from a partner deal?

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a question about the 1031 process.  If I have a partner, and we buy a lot and build a house out of pocket, then we sell and clear $100k each, can I 1031 my earnings into a local 4-plex?  I don't really need the cash, so avoiding taxes for a few year's worth of transactions would be ideal before making any draws.  When I read through the guidelines, it said that the owner and taxpayer had to be the same, and I didn't see any provisions to complete what I'm asking.

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Ok Alex.. I'll take...intent for $100.  

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Dave Foster will be along shortly and explain the 1031 process

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Chirp Chirp Chirp....  Hear that @Bob B.?   It's the sound of "Account closed" eagerly awaiting some answers :). Let's play a game.  I say that "AC" cannot do the exchange.  But not for any reason he's thinking about.  


    Now you tell me why "AC" cannot do the exchange.  (Queue the Jeopardy theme).

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Ok Alex.. I'll take...intent for $100.  

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Ding ding ding.  Winner winner chicken dinner.  AC did not purchase that property with the intent of holding for productive use.  His primary intent was resale.  So that lot and construction are inventory and 1031 not available.

    And now back to watching paint dry during the quarantine.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.