How do you avoid paying taxes in canada with real estate

How do you avoid paying taxes in canada with real estate

Flipper/Rehabber · Ottawa, ON · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes

I hear about all these ways to avoid taxes in America with tactics such as 1031 exchange but how do we do that in Canada.

0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2012 · 102 posts · 95 votes
6y
Originally posted by @Hayden Reinisch:

Maybe I wasn’t exactly clear on my post, was more looking for ways to prolong having to pay the taxes, by continuing to purchase property with the capital gains made with the property.

At the end of the day you will always have to pay taxes, just hoping not to have to pay every time I’m looking to transfer funds into a larger investment.

You can REFI or get a HELOC on the property

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    You don't

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    I don't think such thing exists as in US, check with your CPA, Accountant for ways to minimize taxes in Canada, as laws are completely different. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Ottawa, ON · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @AJ S.

    @Roy N.

    Any recommendation on CPAs in Ottawa with a background in real estate investing?

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Hayden Reinisch:

    @AJ S.

    @Roy N.

    Any recommendation on CPAs in Ottawa with a background in real estate investing?

     I know someone.. PM me

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    You can claim depreciation on your rentals which will lessen your taxes in the short term.  When you sell, if you are paying taxes, it means you made money on your property.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Ottawa, ON · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Theresa Harris

    Any idea if you just transfer funds to a different property if taxes are paid? Or just when cashing out on an investment?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Hayden Reinisch:

    @Theresa Harris

    Any idea if you just transfer funds to a different property if taxes are paid? Or just when cashing out on an investment?

     I've only sold one of the properties that I used as a rental.  I paid taxes on 50% of my net profits (it was a bit less as I had lived in it for a few years).  If it is all held within a company, maybe it is different; but I'd ask a good accountant.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Hayden Reinisch

    Even if you buy a well cash flowing property you still won't pay tax until it is ~ 50% LTV if you use CCA. And depreciation is essentially a 0% interest loan as even if you sell they only ask for what you claimed back, not what you claimed + interest for the decade or three you owned it. Mortgage brokers hate when investors use CCA because it lowers your qualifying income. Personally, I love it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2012 · 102 posts · 95 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Hayden Reinisch:

    I hear about all these ways to avoid taxes in America with tactics such as 1031 exchange but how do we do that in Canada.

    You can't. You'll be hit with taxes by the CRA one way or another.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Ottawa, ON · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Maybe I wasn’t exactly clear on my post, was more looking for ways to prolong having to pay the taxes, by continuing to purchase property with the capital gains made with the property.

    At the end of the day you will always have to pay taxes, just hoping not to have to pay every time I’m looking to transfer funds into a larger investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2012 · 102 posts · 95 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Hayden Reinisch:

    Maybe I wasn’t exactly clear on my post, was more looking for ways to prolong having to pay the taxes, by continuing to purchase property with the capital gains made with the property.

    At the end of the day you will always have to pay taxes, just hoping not to have to pay every time I’m looking to transfer funds into a larger investment.

    You can REFI or get a HELOC on the property

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Hayden Reinisch

    Refi to 80% >>>> deploy cash as downpayment on another. Now you have 2 building equity (goes twice as fast). Repeat as necessary.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    Yes great ideas!,

    @Jim Chuong those are same strategies in US, keep the property, just leverage the equity, refinance, in this market it's best not to sell, rates in US are very low!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.