How do you manage business cards???

13 Replies

Hi,

I'm wondering how people manage the business cards they collect.   I have a BUNCH of them.....and I'm the one who started the "The Introvert Thread!!!

DO you keep them?  How do you manage the ones you keep? 

Thanks!!!

Bill

You could use something like Neat Receipts to scan and keep them organized. 

Hi @bill  I keep all the business cards I can.  Keep them in a box.  No really, they are however before they make it into the big box I enter them into my contacts (gmail). The amount of detail I enter depends who and what they do.  The nice thing about gmail contacts is that it works pretty good with my iphone and when I enter notes about the person or what they do it also automatically search the notes. So if I'm looking for a drywall guy but don't remember the 5 drywall guys names I just search drywall and they all pop up.  You can also make fancy groups if needed, plus many other options.  

I'm sure there are better options for some out there however it works just fine for me and it's free!  

Tip, also after I meet someone and I am back in the car or wherever I make notes of anything important on the back of the card and that gets entered also. 

Currently have about 600+ contacts and and it hasn't slowed anything down at all. 

I also do have a group for investors, agents, inspectors, painters etc. 

-Ray

@Bill B 

I keep all of mines in a giant pile but almost all get enterred in to my Microsoft Outlook, Gmail mailing list & Excel Spread Sheets

Thanks to all three of you for your comments and ideas. 

@Karen Margrave  do you keep the hard copy or toss it?

@Ray Corkran  is it bigger than a bread box??  Just kidding.  Is there an order to the box, or just tossed in like Manny's giant pile?  :-)

@Manny Cirino  do you manually enter into all three?  (outlook, gmail and excel) or do you perform imports and exports? 

@Bill B.  

I enter them manually, in excel first then it is as simple as copy and paste.

I have kept both the hard copy as well as the soft copy and the best part is I have it all in the cloud based platform where in there is no risk of data loss. Its dropbox which I have deployed for the same.

Originally posted by @Manny Cirino:

@Bill B.  

I enter them manually, in excel first then it is as simple as copy and paste.

Thanks for the idea of using excel. Really like that idea and have just started doing that myself.

@Benjamin Timmins

I recommend investing the time into learning excel if you dont now. You could just watch a few youtube and you will catch on quick. I use it for pretty much everything. Creating forms, calculating spreadsheets, mailing list, buyers list, leads sheets, etc...

I use an Android app called CamScanner. You can take a picture of any document and it'll make it into a black-and-white PDF. Since you can keep adding new "pages" (business cards) to the PDF you've created on the app, you can just collect images of cards and then email the PDF to yourself at the end of the month.

I do the same to track receipts, too. Before I even get up from the table at the restaurant, I take a picture of the receipt and add it to the PDF for the company it's attributable to. At the end of the month, I print the PDF out and input everything into my accounting system at once. 

@Bill B.  I always toss the cards as soon as I take a picture of them.

Camscanner also makes a product that extracts the information from a business card and puts it into your phone's address book ("CamCards"). I prefer using the standard CamScanner because then I'll have an actual image of the card instead of just the raw info, but I guess you could use both.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.