Investor / Landlord getting RE License

7 Replies

Hi guys,

So, I'm thinking about getting my NV real estate license.  I have been investing here in Las Vegas for the past decade and made a lot of contacts.

I plan on being a realtor part time, I have a very flexibility schedule and cannot quit my current job for the next 10 years. I currently work (4) 10 hour days and am off Friday, Saturday & Sunday's.

Any advice you all could give me to a newbie realtor? Anyone else started in a similar situation?

Hi Ace,

If you want to go into traditional Real Estate I would recommend signing up with a coaching company.  I think the largest and also the first one to start coaching was Mike Ferry. Now there are tens of others coaches. I don't know them because I have been away from traditional RE for many years so do your research. I used Mike Ferry when I started and it was great! 

I am in the process of getting my RE License in TX currently with classes through RealEstateExpress.com then I need to do 4-5 years with a broker before getting my own brokerage license.  I am not really that interested in retail sales, but Texas requires you to have a RE Broker license to do third party property management and that is something I am looking at getting into at least in a small way.  Plus I figure the more I know about the laws and structure of RE work the better investor I will be in the future. 

@Phillip Dwyer

Both, I want to do my own deals, and also represent others. I'm willing to bust my rear end, but concern about my scheduling conflicts.  I'm glad I at least have Fri - Sun off so that I can work the RE business. 

hard part for you will be that you need to be available when the deals come along,  if you are stuck at your other job you could miss out on a few deals and clients along the way.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.