Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
You dont need an LLC at all let alone having one for each property. When you think about the initial set up cost and ongoing yearly cost it can kill your cash flow.
$325 to set one up
$325 yearly renewal fee
$300-$500 for CPA to file tax return for it
You will then need to get a separate checking acct for each one also.
Too much hassle and expanse.
All you truly need is enough insurance coverage if you are worried about being sued. Get an umbrella insurance policy.
CPA · Belleville, IL · Member since 2014 · 255 posts · 269 votes
12y
Curt,
You are correct. Having each property in its own LLC is a great way to unnecessarily kill cash flow. However, some states allow you to create a series LLC that allows divisions within a LLC. For you, it would work since Tennessee allows series LLCs , but unfortunately for William Morrison in Maryland it would not work.
Beyond the benefit of having each property in a separate division or "cell", there are a few negatives. These include filing fees for each cell created, maintaining bank accounts for each and maintaining books and documentation for each.
I could go on and on about series LLCs, but this is probably the most pertinent information!
To answer the actual question originally asked:
I use a series LLC and name each series the name of the property.
Investor · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2014 · 178 posts · 60 votes
12y
Thanks Jake, all though I live in Maryland they wont be here.
I do keep books by property anyway, except for general overhead which is a separate entity for the most part. My bank accounts are free and it helps with the books.
Also lost in the LLC assumptions is that it's personal. A Checkbook IRA is best done in a LLC in my opinion. And I have both personal, IRA and 401k to deal with.
Like the series deal but some states don't allow it. Funny when I started buying real estate I think there were still four states that did not allow LLCs.
Just a side note: LLCs do provide benefits when passing on assets not available when in your own name. It's not just liability protection.