Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Verna M.
  • Tujunga, CA
Votes |
Sole Prop For Married Couple Or pay spouse as contractor?

Verna M.
  • Tujunga, CA
Posted Apr 5 2015, 08:27

Hello, 

I really really REALLY want to operate as sole prop. I live in Ca with high LLC fees Id like to avoid. I've run other sole prop businesses and I am very familiar with the paperwork required so I feel comfortable with that to start.

However I am newly married and I was revisiting the tax laws for sole prop run by married couples. I am in a community property state if that matters.  My husband currently is a stay at home dad, he does no work outside the home and has no income at this time. However  he is a key player on our team. He's the  handyman and carpenter, as well the good cop  ;) 

So from what I was looking at on the IRS site if we own the sole prop as a married couple we have to file two Schedule C and both pay the self employment tax?   This seems expensive. If Im going to pay that much, I might as well pony up $800 to the  FTB for year for an S-Corp.   I do like the idea of making my parents shareholders in my company if I can. I won't have them as partners! And for 800 bucks a year I'd rather go corp, as in Ca a RE broker can only be an S corp And that is the path I am on at the moment.

Or my alternative is to run sole prop and either hire my husband as an employee or contractor. I also like that idea, because I can open up a 401k for him. However this causes payroll taxes and more paperwork.   I can do payroll paperwork but I know I hate it. 

I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to do this to start.  I am worried that if I try to run sole prop, dont include him in the biz  the IRS is gonna nail me because he has no job besides stay at home dad.   He won't be working nearly as much as me, maybe a 75/25 split.   

Do most couples in a JV open an LLC?

Loading replies...