EIN Number?

5 Replies

Do I have to file for an EIN number for an LLC that I hold a multifamily property under with a partner? I am closing on the Triplex on friday and everything else is ready but no EIN, does it matter?

You have to have an EIN in order to file a Federal Tax Return.  It is really easy to do, you just have to go to the IRS website and follow the instructions.  Do not have anyone do it for you, or charge you money to do so.  It is very simple to do.

Just a heads up. A single member LLC is considered a disregarded entity and is listed on a schedule C. If you have a partner, you are going to have to file a form 1065 (partnership return). The Company will not pay federal tax, but any profits will flow through a K-1 to your personal return.

@David Shulski is correct.  It will take you about 15 minutes to get an EIN from the IRS website.  Here's a link:

IRS EIN Application Link

useful info.     how easy is to get an EIN if you are a foreign investor?  is is just the same as you write here?? 


Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.