Entity Formation - Now or Later? (Marketing deals)

2 Replies

I'm wondering can I begin any marketing campaigns before my business entity is set up? I want to focus only on wholesale deals in the beginning, but I am definitely short on the cash needed for an LLC right now. I've also thought about just filing a DBA as a sole proprietorship just to get started, but don't know if that will be an unnecessary step in my business formation process. If I do start actively marketing for properties, and can close a deal, how will that affect the business entity at all?

I don't want to delay my business any longer, but also don't want to misstep in the process either. Any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

You probably would like to have the llc setup to cover yourself as you begin, and do contracts,.....  and to have that professional image.

Also checking account to start running your business  expenses as well and to have those checks deposited.

However doing marketing campaigns can be costly, More than llc setup. What's the breakdown of llc setup in your state?

Running marketing campaigns can be minimum of 1k to 2k and up depending on your budget and how many you want to mail on monthly basis...

@Ralph C. thank you for the response! I agree, I would definitely want to get my LLC set up first, but very anxious to get started too. Yes, marketing campaigns are expensive, but I was planning on doing smaller numbers to get started, and to get use to the direct mail/marketing campaign process. I've been driving for dollars and using a website to compile various lists as well. It will cost about $300 to set up LLC in Texas; LegalZoom can file for me for about $500.

Is there anything I can do to get my business started now?  I'm ready to overcome the fear I've had in this industry, and anxious to get to work.  But, I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you