American Express: transfer credit from Australia to the US

American Express: transfer credit from Australia to the US

Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, Victoria · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 7 votes

Hi all, trying to build my credit history back up in the US after leaving and (stupidly) closing all of my accounts years ago.  Recently, I've gotten my US-based parents (with great credit history) to add me as an Authorized User on their US-based credit card account.  I also just got (days ago) approved for an Australian AMEX card using my established good credit history here (I live in Australia).

Now I want to use American Express's service where they facilitate an application for credit in a new country (the US in my case) using one's established credit in one's home country (Australia for me).  But as the approval was only days ago, should I wait a few months or do it straight away?  The hard-pull of my credit record AMEX performed will have knocked my score down slightly, but my history in Australia is extensive (and very good).

Does anyone have any experience with this AMEX process, and have any advice as to how to proceed / how long to wait / etc?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Adelaide, South Australia · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 78 votes
9y

Looks like you need to have the AMEX for 3 months:

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/united-states.html

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Adelaide, South Australia · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 78 votes
    9y

    Looks like you need to have the AMEX for 3 months:

    https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/united-states.html

  • Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, Victoria · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Ah yes, I didn't notice that before, thanks Jordan.

  • Rental Property Investor · Auckland, New Zealand · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Hi Lance

    How did you get on?

    I'm wanting to do the same with my year old NZ AMEX.

    Have recently started a secured Card with Wells Fargo too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, Victoria · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Sorry @Dave Sandford, not much to report I'm afraid.  I never attempted to do this after all, though I did apply for a non-AMEX card (which was approved).  Good luck in your efforts to build credit in the US!

  • Rental Property Investor · Auckland, New Zealand · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hi @Lance Luvaul, how did you get on in the end?

    I managed to get a AMEX, this time in USA via Hilton Honors - No SSN nor ITIN required.
    Nor did I have to transfer from another AMEX.

    For the record, that's three current AMEX in three different countries now.

    Just wanted to add this for others reading - it also  came with massive sign up rewards too since I signed up under a friends link, I think it was 60,000 points.

  • Investor · Adelaide, South Australia · Member since 2015 · 136 posts · 78 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dave Sandford:

    Hi @Lance Luvaul, how did you get on in the end?

    I managed to get a AMEX, this time in USA via Hilton Honors - No SSN nor ITIN required.
    Nor did I have to transfer from another AMEX.

    For the record, that's three current AMEX in three different countries now.

    Just wanted to add this for others reading - it also  came with massive sign up rewards too since I signed up under a friends link, I think it was 60,000 points.

     Hi Dave, 

    What docs/info did you provide to get approved? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Auckland, New Zealand · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Sinclair:
    Originally posted by @Dave Sandford:

    Hi @Lance Luvaul, how did you get on in the end?

    I managed to get a AMEX, this time in USA via Hilton Honors - No SSN nor ITIN required.
    Nor did I have to transfer from another AMEX.

    For the record, that's three current AMEX in three different countries now.

    Just wanted to add this for others reading - it also  came with massive sign up rewards too since I signed up under a friends link, I think it was 60,000 points.

     Hi Dave, 

    What docs/info did you provide to get approved? 

    Very few @Jordan
    I recall having to phone them as instructed and then with a lot of rapport just confirmed by conversation what my application said.

    Never gave any proof of income etc.

    Small 2k limit.

    I never got around to claiming the points (muppet).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.