Can you help me build my mission statement?

9 Replies

My wife and I have begun to build our business plan after reading UBG-BP and the e-myth REI. I've read quite a few fellow mission statements from the BP community. We're building the business mission statement. Here is my draft. I'd love to hear some thoughts from you experts out there.

Fisher Group Properties exists to create wealth for its owners, partners and associates through real estate. We build a business environment with vitality through enjoyable business processes that we define, refine and then scale. We seek the worst properties in the best, and up and coming parts of Utah and make them home. We build our business to enrich our lives, open our minds to life's possibilities and enable us to live limitless.

Thoughts?

If you share your thoughts with me, I promise to share mine with you!

@Brent Fisher It depends on what you're trying to accomplish with it.

If it's for your internal use, it can be a lot more brief.  Like this:

"The mission of Clear Sailing Realty, LLC is to make money - ethically - by engaging in the practice of real estate sales, investing and business brokering in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts."

If it's for investors, it probably needs to go deeper.

I have a deep aversion to buzzwords and guru-speak, which is how the second and last sentences strikes me. 

@Brent Fisher Looks good to me. I know a reasonably priced editor if you wanted some professional input. If you’d like her contact information DM me.

Thanks Kristen, 

I'm kind of looking for peer input right now.

Fisher Group Properties creates wealth through our business process, ability to scale, and in our sound real estate acumen.  

In my humble opinion, the mission statement as drafted is a sentence or two longer than it needs to be. There is value in maintaining a concise and to-the-point statement that defines the intent of your team.

yeah, i maybe feel that way too.

@Charlie MacPherson , I like your mission statement.  Perhaps the last few sentences are too guru-speak.  I do want to say something that tells you that we aren't looking to just create another job, but, rather begin to create true wealth through continuously defined business processes, systems and people.

Maybe I'll say just that.

I've been reading The e-myth.  So many recommendations for it from here.  To me, I can't see how I'd want to build a cluster of just more work that I can't get to work for itself when I go on vacation.

But, I'm definitely wanting to reduce it down to something someone would want to read!

@Spencer Taylor , hi neighbor.  Thank you for your input.  Your phrasing is great.  And it does seem to hone in on what I'm trying to say, removing a lot of the extra wording.  I think I may go with something just like that, and save the rest of my thoughts there for a blog post!

@Calvin Douglass , it seems you are right.  I look at it, and although I agree with it, even I feel tired when I think about reading it.  

So, how about....  actually, I can't see any reason to add anything more than Spencer wrote.  So, thanks Spencer!

Kind Regards,

Brent

@Brent Fisher It's not my real mission statement - I just made it up on the spot.  

I have a business plan, but I don't have a mission statement.  I've never felt the need for one as my company is still very small.  

Perhaps as I grow I'll put the time into writing one - or maybe I'll just use the one above that I hammered together in 45 seconds!

@Charlie MacPherson , the mission statement is even more important when things are small.  It's should clearly lay the path to growth and rally family members and close friends to join your cause and support your effort.

Thank you for the complements, @Brent Fisher .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here