Is it safe to use my LLC for another business for RE

2 Replies

Hi Everybody, 

I'm getting my business plan together to start my investing career. I know there are advantages to holding properties in an LLC. I already have a single-member LLC for a small ecommerce business that I own. Is it safe/legal to use that LLC for my real estate ventures as well? I know that the liability from each business focus could put the other in jeopardy but I'd be ok with that for now since both are small. If I can use the same LLC, can I hold property in a DBA name?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Matt

Hey @Matt Loeffler , from what I understand, you don't want to mix business lines. I have an LLC for my passive income (rentals) and an LLC for when I was going to active income real estate activities (flips). You can most likely confirm this with your CPA and attorney. They are the best suited to give you some guidance in this area. I spoke with my CPA about it, and he recommended keeping different activities separate. The other thing you want to think about is that even though they are both small now, one or both could get pretty large, then you would be stuck having to potentially separate the businesses at a later date which could get costly (i.e. if you transfer all of your real estate to another LLC later, you may incur transfer taxes on top of all the legal costs of documents to do so). Better to spend a few hundred dollars to start a new LLC and save yourself potentially thousands later. I am not a CPA or an attorney, just have a basic knowledge from asking the same question.

Thank you Dorothy!  Great insight!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here