I signed up for a Real Estate Seminar. Is it a scam?

6 Replies

Hello all!  

I just joined the site after sitting through a free 2-hour Real Estate investing seminar where I decided to sign up and pay for the full weekend-long seminar in a few weeks.  

Now doing a bit of due diligence.

I have to admit, I was excited to hear about all the things I heard during the free seminar.  The skeptic in me says this is a scam.  However, I was offered a money back deal (full money back if I was not satisfied after the first day of the seminar) and I only paid $400.  

My questions are:

1. What is the company getting out of me attending their seminar?  Will there be another upsell?  How are they making money if they're charging me just $400 for the entire weekend?  (I'm really sorry if they are doing this because they truly want to teach others their tips to wealth and will personally apologize to those involved if I am completely wrong about this.)

2. There are several hooks:

- Buying/investing in real estate without using any of my own money

- 0% funding source for 12-18months (with only $3500 processing fee).

- A few more.

The program is called "Deal Zone Wealth Academy.  The free seminar was hosted by Pat James.  I have googled him and he looks legit!  

The actual weekend seminar is taught and hosted by Cherif Medawar.  Also googled him and he looks like a very successful Commercial Real Estate investor.    

They appear to be very successful and knowledgeable.  Curious as to why they are spending their time conducting these seminars.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

It is not a scam it is a business. They are all legitimate snake oil sales men.

The purpose is to collect fees from student. This is where they make the majority of their money. They will concentrate on upsell so as long as you leave your wallet and credit cards at home go, enjoy, get as much as you can from your $400 and be thankful you did not waste any more money. However if you are weak willed be prepared to be taken to the laundry.

It is nothing more than a pep rally to encourage you to pay for more upselling seminars. 

At the end of the weekend you’ll be sold on a 20-50k mentoring program, almost guaranteed. These people make more money off selling seminars than real estate

Keep in mind this is all rooted in MLM... why do we do this..  we do this to better our lives so we can spend more time at home with the kiddos or do what we want and or get out of our cube.

there is no such thing as 0 money.. the 3500 you will spend I would caution that immensely.. lenders are not do do's  they don't give 100% loans to beginner's..

but for a whole weekend for 400 it could open some doors some ideas etc..

I have seen some of these programs be quite good actually.. so I don't know this one.

but when they lead with Zero money and that stuff that I don't agree with.. having spent 4 decades in this business it just does not work that way.. ONLY in the Movies.

Thank you.  As a newbie here, I really appreciate this feedback and can go into the first day of the seminar prepared for the upsell.

Nothing is genuinely free. You can learn 10x reading books and spending time on BP. Frankly, I would not waste my time even attending.

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)

Hello, @Tina Ph .

What would they say if you called before the seminar and asked for the $400.00 back? That would be my first choice, you may have to negotiate hard, but turn the tables on them. 

If you can get your money back, you are ahead of the game!  :)

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Daniel F. Harb

Daniel F. Harb

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.