Investing Across Multiple States

5 Replies

What state should I start my investment LLC in? Is there any issues with an investment company in "x" state can buy property in "y" state?

I have one investment property in Tennessee, live in Virginia, and just went under contract on a property in Indiana (where I am actively searching for more properties). I am active-duty military and my legal state of residence is TN.  

I'm not necessarily looking for specific legal advice, as I realize this is a specific question that needs to  but looking for conceptual information on the topic. Thanks all.

@Bo Goebel I have mine in Virginia as the yearly fees are ridiculously low and I register as a foreign entity in other states. Virginia is pretty good with the laws as well regarding asset protection &if you do it right

@Bo Goebel

It is normally advised to set up the LLC in the state that the property is located in; In this case Tennessee.
Before you acquire the property in Indiana - you have the option of registering the LLC to also do business in Indiana or to create a new LLC in Indiana.

Please also acknowledge that Tennessee may have an LLC franchise tax.

Basit Siddiqi, CPA
917-280-8544

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.