How to buy multiple bank financed properties with 3 person equal LLC

How to buy multiple bank financed properties with 3 person equal LLC

Accountant · Thornton, CO · Member since 2011 · 170 posts · 33 votes

Please let me know if I'm missing anything here or what else I need to consider.

I'm wanting to partner with 2 friends to form an LLC to buy rental property. We don't have a ton of cash so my first thought is to buy Homepath FNMA REOs that require only 10% down. So that we don't run into the 4 property limit as soon, the plan is for me to buy one in my name, then person 2 in his name, then person 3 in his name, and so on.

So for property 1, which will cost $100K incl closing costs: loan from Hompath for $88K, plus 12K put down by me, which I received from the LLC.

I will immediatly "sell" the property to the LLC under contract for deed for $100K, of which 12K is the option payment and $88K is the balance of the loan.

To form the LLC, we each put in $8K for a total of $24K equity. $12K goes to me to make the down payment and the other $12K stays in the LLC bank account for repair/vacancy reserves. The opening balance sheet looks like:
Assets:
CFD for Prop 1: $100K
Cash: $12K
Liabilities and Equity:
Loan balance for CFD on Prop 1: $88K
Owners Equity: $24K

Income Statement:
Rent Revenue: $1100
less PITI: -$661
Less vacancy and repair reserves: -200
net distributable cash flow: $239

$80 distribution to each investor for per month on an $8K initial investment.

As the MTG balance drops, the equity position of each investor increases, once paid off, the CFD is exercised and equitable title transfers to the LLC, and I no longer hold a financed property in my own name. At that point I hold a 33% equity stake in an LLC that has a fully paid for property as its asset.

For property 2, partner #2 will put the house in his name and we will each make the same equity contribution and repeat the process over again, rotating the name on the loan until each of us hold the 4 financed properties in our names. That should give us a limit of 9 to contribute to the LLC in addition to the homes we live in.

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    15y

    Your LLC will not qualify for any type of bank financing. Another suggestion would be to buy property in your individual names so each of you can buy 4 homes totaling 12, then quit claim the homes into the LLC.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    15y

    Bill,

    I know you will probably ignore me on this, but DO NOT PARTNER WITH YOUR FRIENDS!!!!! Do it on your own, you will be much happier and you will still have someone to send Christmas cards to! :mrgreen:

  • Accountant · Thornton, CO · Member since 2011 · 170 posts · 33 votes
    15y

    Rob,
    I've already done it on my own, and it wasn't that much fun.

    The last company (propane industry) I worked for was basically owned by 2 partners who were best friends. They sold most of their equity to a fund and became very wealthy men, who are still best friends.

    So I've seen it work. But if you have any specifics on how to do it well with a partner, I'm open to that.

  • Accountant · Thornton, CO · Member since 2011 · 170 posts · 33 votes
    15y

    Curt,
    That is exactly my plan. Only I thought we would use a CFD to transfer the property from my name to LLC instead of a quitclaim - that way I make sure the LLC stands behind the loan payments or I get the collateral back.

    Any other thoughts on CFD vs quitclaim?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.