RFI - Asset Protection Lawyer and CPA in/around NorCal

2 Replies

RFI - I live in Walnut Creek, CA and work in San Francisco. Looking for referrals for (a) an asset protection attorney and (b) a CPA, in each case, who are familiar with the needs of a CA-based individual investing in out-of-state buy-and-hold properties. Extra points if the attorney and CPA are familiar with one another and work well together (i.e., see eye-to-eye on strategies and issues common to the above mentioned real estate investor). The game plan is to set up an asset protection strategy and scale up an out-of-state (read: outside CA) buy-and-hold investment property portfolio.

@Keith Tidwell

When you say asset protection, are you talking a very advanced structure, or are you talking LLCs?  Are you looking at using trusts?  Do you have your estate plan in place like your revocable living trust?  Are you looking into syndications at all or working with partners, or are you doing everything mostly on your own?

For CPAs - are you looking for tax preparation or purely tax advice?  There are several good real estate accountants on BP, though be sure you work with someone familiar with CA and all of its more complicated laws.  

If you're willing to work remotely, I have names for you in So. Cal.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

@Katie Lepore

Regarding asset protection structure, just keeping it simple for the time being (no syndications/partners). Simple LLC unless advised otherwise (e.g., land trusts).

Regarding CPAs, both. I've been handling my own taxes up until now but would like to hand off to CPA (mainly because it's a nuisance come tax time and taking, e.g., depreciation deductions, is something I think better handled by a knowledgeable CPA.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you