Real estate investing in other states

4 Replies

I'm from NY but I would love to wholesale in NJ, do I register my LLC in NJ or is it ok to register in NEW YORK ?

Can a LLC in one state be used to do business in other ? For example, virtual wholesaling ?

@Miltiana Holdip ,

Yes you can have business in NY but wholesale anywhere. Your contract will say where the property is located and the title company/attorney will do the rest. If you have any other questions message me dont mind helping. (not an attorney, always consult with them)

Originally posted by @Miltiana Holdip :

I'm from NY but I would love to wholesale in NJ, do I register my LLC in NJ or is it ok to register in NEW YORK ?

Hey Miltiana,

Great question! You can register your LLC in either state, but the LLC will need to follow the requirements of that state for both formation and upkeep. The issue you would run into if forming the LLC in New York and having properties from NJ in it would be the additional costs of the foreign filing fees. You could always introduce Land Trusts, which would hold the properties and assign the LLC as beneficiary, to avoid these costs.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you