My First Flip - when to draw the line in the sand.

My First Flip - when to draw the line in the sand.

Real Estate Agent · Enfield, CT · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes

HI Folks,

Thanks in advance for anyones responses.  

So I am analyzing the potential rehab cost of a potential flip.  It is a classic 3 bed 1 bath 1100 sq ft ranch in CT.

My concerns are that I am potentially OVER flipping it.  (I haven't actually bought it yet- just geeking on the flipping materials and labor budget).

It has hardwood floors throughout, but they would need to be refinished at a cost of about $2600.00 I weigh that with the cost of all new carpets about $1000.  

Same idea with kitchen appliances (it has a stove, fridge, dishwasher, microwave Black appliances) Do I swap them out and keep them for a rental property and put new SS appliances in? But the cost on that is about $2000.


Do you swap out EVERY light switch and outlet to make it universally match and cohesive or leave some of the old ones and just update kitchen and baths outlets and switches etc? 

To my experienced flippers, where do you draw the line?


-Michael

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

@Michael L Sakey depends on the price point of the house. If it's a higher end or mid level flip, refinish the hardwoods, new appliances. Lower priced flip, I would carpet and keep the black appliances.

I always replace switches, outlets and covers. I feel like it's a low cost item and makes the space seem nicer, in a subtle way.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael L Sakey depends on the price point of the house. If it's a higher end or mid level flip, refinish the hardwoods, new appliances. Lower priced flip, I would carpet and keep the black appliances.

    I always replace switches, outlets and covers. I feel like it's a low cost item and makes the space seem nicer, in a subtle way.

  • Contractor · Oxford, MA · Member since 2018 · 807 posts · 745 votes
    7y

    Definitely depends on your price point for the appliances and electrical but you will get every penny of that $1600 back with hardwood over carpet. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Enfield, CT · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Jason D. Thanks for your perspective. It is not a high end market. At most the ARV for the house is $190k with a bidding war but prob. $180k based on area comps.

  • Tom SpaethPro Member
    Investor · Denver , CO · Member since 2011 · 129 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    It depends on 1 thing more than anything else. What is on the other flips in your area. If you are sell black appliances and carpet while everyone else is selling stainless and hardwood then good luck trying to sell for top dollar. But the other way around you will sell quicker and possible at a higher dollar. But it can also be a waste of Money if the end buyer doesn't care. I used to do skip trowel texture till I found out buyers were just fine with knock down. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chubbuck, ID · Member since 2018 · 532 posts · 466 votes
    7y

    The point of a flip is to make it look new. Do not skimp on little things like outlets and switches and covers. If you do people will wonder what else you forgot to do. They are super cheap as well. I usually put carpet over hardwoods in my area just because most of the other houses will have hardwood (not refinished) and it sets me apart. I would switch out the appliances for stainless steel ones.  I think that is part of the appeal to buying a flip. You can sell the old ones.

  • Real Estate Agent · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2011 · 471 posts · 296 votes
    7y

    @Michael L Sakey

    It depends on what BUYERS expect in your market.  And what is your competition offering?

    Too often I find flips sitting on the market well past 100 days because they skimped on the rehab.

    Buyers don't care about your budget and ROI if they don't like the house they're not going to buy it!

    Good luck! ;)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.