Using the FHA in NJ: What're your stories?

Using the FHA in NJ: What're your stories?

Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 14 votes

Currently, I'm stuck at my 9-5 job here in Jersey. My goal is to house-hack a duplex via FHA sometime next year and use the cashflow to purchase my next duplex. But between now and then, I'm playing defense by saving my paychecks to secure my downpayment + reserves; using eforms and ezlandlordforms to create a system (i.e. generate leases, pet addendums, estoppel certificates, rent reminders, notices to vacate, etc); reviewing a variety of insurance policies; knowing how to split utilities between the landlord and a tenant in a duplex; dealing with inherited tenants; learning how to read the market in order to raise rent; and a bunch of other things before I close on my first property.

I'd like to hear stories from fellow New Jerseyans on how they used FHA loans on duplexes (or perhaps any property up to a fourplex) to build up their portfolio. Although books and forums are a great source of information, nothing beats the stories of real-life experiences.

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    6y

    I used FHA back in 2011, in an area where the GFC was still very real. It was a SFR which turned into a house hack. While the inspection process was fairly easy, financing during those times was difficult, even with stable income and a great credit score.

    I used BB&T. It was a long, arduous process. I got the run around, denied, accepted and everything in between. Eventually I got the loan but because of the 08 09 crisis, it was so hard for them to finally say yes. Be prepared during these times, unless you're going to buy after this passes, for a lot of no's. 

    I now have another house hack, duplex with an extra unit, and used a VA loan to help me get in there. Its helping me to get landlord experience on paper and eventually I will use the equity for bigger deals. I think owner occupied loans are great for your first couple deals to get in the game. Good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Thanks for sharing your experience, @Mark F.. Perhaps the situation we're in right now is similar to what happened in 2008-09. Did you close under your name when you closed on your SFR?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    6y

    Yes, I closed under my name. I had no idea what I was doing and wasnt planning on house hacking. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.