Partnership Advise? Specifically a Spouse

2 Replies

My significant other and I want to REI, but is there anything to look out for as far as it interfering with either our relationship or the 'business'? Do you have any advice on what to do or not do?

@Kat Hussey   Hi Kat.  Is there something specific you are worried about?  I would just make sure you are both on the same page.  Make sure going into it that you both agree on how things will be handled, mainly the money.  Also, be aware that this may cause tension between you two, especially if it is a new relationship and new venture for both.  As long as you agree to communicate and know you will may have some issues you will face, you should be okay.  If you are really worried, I would think about your relationship and if it is strong and what you might need to work at.

I think it helps to have clearly defined roles or titles as well, same as if you worked a "real" job, meaning one of you handles the money and budgeting, the other handles finding and negotiating the deals, or something to that effect, whatever the arrangement may be. Also having an explicit business model and vision helps keep one or the other from straying into territory that would create a fight. Plenty of people do it successfully. IMO the hard part is that if somebody gets on your nerves one day at work, you can't get away from them when you go home for the day in this scenario ;)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you