Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities

User Stats

Votes
Jason Holmquist
  • Mount Shasta, CA
Votes |
I am starting a 3D home scan and virtual tour business. Tips?

Jason Holmquist
  • Mount Shasta, CA
Posted Sep 18 2020, 17:00

I am getting help from my local business center on the plan and marketing strategy, but I would also like to discuss it here to get some more perspective. I believe this business idea is timely in the era of COVID, and I believe this business will open up doors to somewhat automate the process of choosing a house.

I live in a rural area, and I’m seeing a lot of tech workers from Silicon Valley looking at houses up here in Siskiyou where I live and Humboldt, etc. they can view properties from their own home (that’s most likely how they’ll prefer to do it) and look at these 3D renderings of these houses. It shows legitimacy, professionalism, and a cutting edge mindset.

On the flip side we’ve been extremely affected by wildfires and the only spot that’s burned in the county is Happy Camp, besides a few smaller fires. The surrounding areas have burned to a crisp. Talent, Oregon is gone, and a lot of property has burned north and south of us. This has displaced a lot of people, and could affect things with the business.

But there are also uses with insurance claim adjusters, contractors, and property managers. I’m sure even police could hire my services.

Pricing may look like $100-$200 per scan, maybe even less to get my foot in the door but it will settle into a price that works well for me. Plenty of opportunity to up-charge though, I could expand into pictures, drone shots, there’s a 2D rendering matterport will do based on the top down view of the house from the scan.

This has a very high income opportunity and will absolutely enable me to start investing in real estate, just in time for the predicted dip. Right now I’m working a part time minimum wage job and I’m picking up another one full time (cause I need money now) so I’m gonna be spread thin. When I get my business going I’ll most likely quit my first job or reduce to weekends (I may do that anyway). I feel the sting of not having a lot of money. It sucks. I’m absolutely going to climb my way out of this situation.

I do have the equipment I need. I’m using an insta pro 360 one x, with the respective monopod and tripod. The software is literally just an app on your phone, which stitches together 360 images into 3D renderings of houses or retail spaces. Down the road I’ll get a Matterport for the nicer houses.

So yeah what do you guys think? I just started really listening to the biggerpockets podcast not too long ago. I’d listened to bits and pieces and now I’m deep diving from episode 1 on... I’m on episode 9 now. What an amazing resource!

Loading replies...