Staying organized with so much I want to do

9 Replies

Hey BP, I'm wondering what your strategies are for staying focused and organized. I find I have a lot that I want to accomplish during the day but often forget some tasks or take way too long on one, leaving little or no time for the rest. These tasks range from just doing laundry, cleaning my house and learning more about RE/business to making sure I set time aside for personal things like family, friends and my many hobbies. 

On a related note, I like to add things to my to do list and want to start taking notes to remember later on but I am still figuring out the best way to do that without crowding my small notebook I am trying to stay organized with. Any suggestions on best practices for what I mentioned is greatly appreciated!

Thank you! 

Hey Josh,

There are a few ways you can better manage your time. Here are few suggestions:

1) Use your calendar. If you know certain events are coming up or you want to do something on a certain date, put it on the calendar and set reminders for 1,2,3 days out. 

2) Batching. If there are tasks you do a lot that don't necessarily have to be done as often, maybe batch those tasks and only do them once a week or once a month. Examples may be checking your mail or washing your clothes. If you set a specific time to do these task instead of doing them adhoc, you will free up a bit of time.

3) Use a task list like todoist. This is is a digital task list where you can centralize all the tasks you need to complete. You can schedule them as well. There is also a mobile app you can use which is great for those time you need to put something on your list while on the fly, instead of keeping it in your head. 

I have used todoist to organize upcoming task for buying and selling a property. 

My final suggestion (should have been my first) is to read the 4 hour work week by Tim Ferriss. This book will adjust the way you think about time and will definitely help you develop a mindset to better organize your time. 

Keep looking for the answers and you will find them. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. 
 

@Josh West

I like to think of myself as a start-up professional. I have tried to start several businesses and once I get to the action phase of each one I end up stopping for some reason. One thing that helps me when planning and organizing my day is to do something I call my "Big 3".

First thing that I like to do each day is to decide on the top 3 tasks that I want to get accomplished. Try and make these the tasks that you need to finish but hate to for one reason or another. These may be ones that take the most time or frustrate you the most. Once you start, just get them finished. This way you have the rest of the day to work through everything else and you feel a sense of accomplishment due to the fact that your "Big 3" is complete for the day. Tomorrow, do the same thing.

I hope this helps some of you. Let us know!

If you are looking to stay focused, I'd recommend that you read "Deep Work" by Cal Newport. In this book he talks about strategies to stay focused on specific tasks and how to block off time for these tasks. 

On the note of batching, I often find myself checking my phone as soon as I receive a notification. This can be extremely disruptive. Especially since I receive emails nearly every hour. To help with this, I got an app called "Daywise". This app basically catches all my notifications and lets them all through at once at certain times of the day. I have it set to deliver them at 8:00am, 12:00pm, and 6:00pm. You can make certain exceptions though, so I do let my texts and phone calls through immediately. I have an Android phone, and I'm not sure if this is available on iPhones.

I hope this helps!

@Josh West any book ive read about success starts with an early morning. Wake up at 5 or 6 before the rest of the world. Then map out what you will do in every hour of the day, don't be distracted by busy work. The amount you get done will be incredible!

Originally posted by @Brandon Rush :

Hey Josh,

There are a few ways you can better manage your time. Here are few suggestions:

1) Use your calendar. If you know certain events are coming up or you want to do something on a certain date, put it on the calendar and set reminders for 1,2,3 days out. 

2) Batching. If there are tasks you do a lot that don't necessarily have to be done as often, maybe batch those tasks and only do them once a week or once a month. Examples may be checking your mail or washing your clothes. If you set a specific time to do these task instead of doing them adhoc, you will free up a bit of time.

3) Use a task list like todoist. This is is a digital task list where you can centralize all the tasks you need to complete. You can schedule them as well. There is also a mobile app you can use which is great for those time you need to put something on your list while on the fly, instead of keeping it in your head. 

I have used todoist to organize upcoming task for buying and selling a property. 

My final suggestion (should have been my first) is to read the 4 hour work week by Tim Ferriss. This book will adjust the way you think about time and will definitely help you develop a mindset to better organize your time. 

Keep looking for the answers and you will find them. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. 
 

Great suggestion Brandon! Once I finish my current book, I will definitely have to pick up the 4 hour work week. 

Thank you!

 

Originally posted by @Joshua Long :

@Josh West

I like to think of myself as a start-up professional. I have tried to start several businesses and once I get to the action phase of each one I end up stopping for some reason. One thing that helps me when planning and organizing my day is to do something I call my "Big 3".

First thing that I like to do each day is to decide on the top 3 tasks that I want to get accomplished. Try and make these the tasks that you need to finish but hate to for one reason or another. These may be ones that take the most time or frustrate you the most. Once you start, just get them finished. This way you have the rest of the day to work through everything else and you feel a sense of accomplishment due to the fact that your "Big 3" is complete for the day. Tomorrow, do the same thing.

I hope this helps some of you. Let us know!

This is great, I can see the "Big 3" helping out a ton!

 

Originally posted by @Miller McSwain :

If you are looking to stay focused, I'd recommend that you read "Deep Work" by Cal Newport. In this book he talks about strategies to stay focused on specific tasks and how to block off time for these tasks. 

On the note of batching, I often find myself checking my phone as soon as I receive a notification. This can be extremely disruptive. Especially since I receive emails nearly every hour. To help with this, I got an app called "Daywise". This app basically catches all my notifications and lets them all through at once at certain times of the day. I have it set to deliver them at 8:00am, 12:00pm, and 6:00pm. You can make certain exceptions though, so I do let my texts and phone calls through immediately. I have an Android phone, and I'm not sure if this is available on iPhones. 

I hope this helps!

I have heard of the book, but haven't read it yet. I really enjoyed Digital Minimalism by Cal! 

Wow, that sounds like a great app, I tried having my phone on "do not disturb" but found that I would forget to respond to notifications that were important sometimes. I hope it's available for iphones!

Thank you! 

Originally posted by @Steven Wilson :

@Josh West any book ive read about success starts with an early morning. Wake up at 5 or 6 before the rest of the world. Then map out what you will do in every hour of the day, don't be distracted by busy work. The amount you get done will be incredible!

That's what I have found too! I so wish I could wake up that early and conquer the day; lately I have been trying to wake up before 7, the darker mornings now make it much harder 😅! I hope to be able to do that someday, right now though, my early mornings are reserved for pow days at the ski hill!  

@Josh West

Hi Josh! Totally identify with this plight, I have spent years of my adult life trying to find the best solutions to that exact problem.

My best suggestion on this front stems from a series of books by the Founder of “The Table Group” Patrick Lencioni.

He is a proponent of choosing “The Single Most Important Goal” for the next 6-9 months and specific actionable categories to focus on, while also creating the categories that are absolutely required to keep the rest of your life on track.

If that sounds valuable to your current predicament I recommend “The 3 Questions of a Frantic Family” in his series, it personally really helped me with this same problem.

All the best!

-Sean

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you