Entity Structure with SFH in SC & MO, living in OR?

2 Replies

Hi all,

I live in Oregon and have 2 SFH rentals, one in Missouri and one in South Carolina. The one in MO is currently in my wife's name but we've separated and she doesn't want to deal with it so I am refinancing the mortgage out of her name. I am wondering about the best entity and location to form for the MO house now with the SC house next in line. I am planning to add additional properties, which may be in other states (NM, ID & WY top of list)

Does an LLC for the MO house have to be in MO? (I do not self-manage)

Could I form a series LLC in TX or NV and then put the MO house into it now? If yes, which is the best state to form a series in from both a protection and cost standpoint?

If my LLC is outside of OR, do I have to register it as a foreign entity in OR? (I may be leaving OR in a year, FWTW)

Lastly, I'm very open to recommendations on your favorite RE attorneys to help me get it all straight and get it buttoned up.

Thanks all,

Gerich

Gerich, 

I have a local lawyer referral I can give you that can answer these questions. I think there are many overlays with the scenario's you are presenting here. It makes sense to get it all on paper and there may be more than one answer. Michael Redden, PC is who we use to form these entities. 

*I have no affiliation with Michael's practice, he just has done good business for our clients for over 20 years. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you