I’m a 17 year old teen from CT and want to get into real estate

4 Replies

I’ve been looking around the internet for background information on the trade so I could be ready for when I’m willing to take the test or possibly take an internship. All this searching constantly led to dead ends so I’m asking if anybody here has any sources or if they can serve as a source to gain first person insight on what a day in the job looks like so I can be better prepared. Things like how you close a deal or how you first speak to a person when they come to you small things like that. I want to start small to build up to the more complex things that this business entails.

Hi Monica, wow, 17, that is amazing.  Wish you the best of luck.  I do think you need to be at least 18 to be able to sign a contract. But great job in learning and asking questions.  Maybe look for a seasoned investor in your area to shadow. Or, call around to a local realtor, who also invests.  They would be more open to helping you, as they get paid per closed transaction.  Enjoy!

Hey @Monica Lopez

Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I also recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/

@Monica Lopez To gain experience, I'd recommend you reach out to Realtors/investors in your area from the "network" tab of BP. You can also attend local meetups to meet more people. In the mean time, think about what value you can bring to a more experienced investor or Realtor. Is it social media growth? Cold calling, marketing, website design, FB/Google/Instagram ads? etc etc etc!

Remember... a relationship won't be sustainable if you're doing all the "taking" and not enough "giving". Being a person of value will give the more experienced person an incentive to help you out. good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you