ADU San Antonio - Anyone have experience with this?

3 Replies

Hi, 

Does anyone have any experience with ADUs in San Antonio? I'm thinking of buying a quad and then living in a ADU on the property. Or even buying a SFR and putting an ADU on it, or even find one with an ADU already on it, that would be great.

Just curious if anyone has first hand experience with it before I just do it and get in trouble with the city for doing something wrong lol.

Thanks!

Ryan

As far as adding an ADU, San Antonio is not very FOR that. They consider it a duplex and would need the zoning for that.

With that said, there are some neighborhoods where an ADU is very common. You could fix up one of the ADUs in that area and live there. They are very common in the homes built from 1900 to about 1930s or 1940s. That means closer to downtown.

I would need to look up the reference with the city but I believe ADUs are allowed with any residential zoning.  I can’t remember the specifics but it gets tricky with renting the house and the adu seperately, but that may only apply to short term rentals. 

I had a better understanding when I was dealing with it at one of my houses but it’s been a while now.

Hi, 

Thanks for the responses. Yeah it says on the city site that they are allowed anywhere. Maybe I need to direct this question to the city, I'll try that.

thank you!

ryan