Would love some advice

12 Replies

I am a 16-year-old from Sacramento California.  I'm currently enrolled in an online high school which allows me to be more independent and work with my father who has been flipping houses for some years now.  I've been shadowing him for the past year (which was a big decider in my switching to online school) and have learned quite a lot.  Recently I have decided to enroll in a college class at my local community college as it is free to me as a high school student and wanted to seek advice on which classes would be best for me to take.  I know I want to broaden my knowledge on the construction aspects of real estate, but my ultimate goal is to be a real estate agent into my twenties and eventually start doing my own deals.  In addition to these classes, I am also taking the classes needed for a real estate license in California.  Any and all advice would be appreciated as I know I have a lot to learn and am very eager to dive deeper into the world of entrepreneurship.

Look into things like sales training or something that will help you build the skills to talk to people you dont know with confidence.  You dont want to be a pushy salesman, but you need to be able to build and grow a network.

Otherwise, I would take basic finance or real estate related tax/legal classes.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Accounting/ finance know where your money is going and how people use it (doesn't mean you entirely buy in)

what your hearing here is be well rounded and constantly open to learning.

Just don't forget to live and enjoy your teens.  My son is 16 and I'm glad he's enjoying sports and friends and hanging out👍

Congrats on having such an amazing plan for your future. I started in this field soon out of High School as well. I definitely recommend this...

`1. Speech and Communication Classes - These will help you become more comfortable with how to speak to people, whether it be another agent, builder, or client. Confidence and knowing your sway is key! 

2. Keep up with the flipping of houses. Learn the terms and stay updated on newest trends of property remodeling. You're young. If you know what people like, it'll help with selling easy and fast! Shadow your dad in how he does the behind the scenes stuff. Budgeting, Shopping for materials and, contacts with vendors. 

3. Start a working relationship with vendors that you meet. Plumbers, Electricians, Inspectors, etc. When you go off on your own, you'll need these contacts for advice and such! 

4. Keep your Real Estate books that you use during your RE classes. They are a huge help when you 1st start out! 

5. HAVE FUN! You are still young! the field that you've chosen is fast paced and can easily take up a LOT of time. Do not forget to socialize and be a young adult! Its great for networking as well!(Wink Wink) You can't play all day.... but you sure can Hustle while you play! 

I am a Houston RE Agent, but if you need any advice or motivation, I am here! Good Luck!

I definitely agree with the enjoyment aspect. I work 2 jobs throughout HS and I enjoyed the work but I gave up sports and time with friends to do it. Not always the best move.

A big thing I wish I had done different was reading self improvement and financial books. Developing a strong financial understanding while you're young is huge. I'm 28 just starting this journey but my entire life would be different had I started in HS.

Richest man in Babylon

Rich Dad Poor Dad

Never Split the Difference

These are some of the first books i recommend to read!

Awesome job though, Keep up the good work!

I doubt Community College will teach you anything you will ever use to make money in this business.

If it did, the teachers would all be driving Rolls Royce's and living in multi-million dollar mansions--they are not.

If you want to learn about SFH's (the bones and the guts of them) vs being a hammer swinger putting up framing (which you don't need to go to college to do)...study to be a home inspector at someplace like the InterNachi... https://www.nachi.org/become-home-inspector.htm

Once you earn the badges you will know your stuff about SFH inspections.

But still that's a big commitment and it's not needed to make money in this business...you can hire Home Inspectors, just like you can hire tax pros, bookkeeping, and etc...

If you want to learn how to "put in cabinets", "replace a toilet", "shingle a roof", add a dormer, etc...you can learn on YouTube fast and easy.

If you want to learn how to frame, get a job 9 to 5 with a framing contractor, and get ready to WORK HARD.

Here is a 582 page picture book of how to build a house: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Visual-Guide-Building-House/dp/1600850227

Sit down next to a Keurig Machine with a book like this and your favorite mug and learn at your own pace. 

Good Luck!

I would certainly recommend looking into anything that is financial or basic business law, while marketing and basic business course may sound super helpful if you already have a decent understanding you will probably feel like you aren't getting much out of them (I just finished my final semester of business management). They definitely help you with the mindset but as far as actual skills anything related to money management, investing, and accounting will help. Business and making deals is one of those things that you really need experience for to help you learn.

Marketing, finance, management, construction management.

Most of the business owners I know that are just scraping by are bad at management, and bad at the books.

I learned a lot by watching other business owners, and working for them. Keep your eyes open while you're young and you can learn a lot more than you can sitting in a class room.

Go get an entry level sales job, get used to hearing NO and you'll be better off than most people your age who are scared to call in a take out order.