Can I use equity in my current home (265k mortage vs 400k value)

Can I use equity in my current home (265k mortage vs 400k value)

Real Estate Broker · Kill Devil Hills, NC · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Can I use equity in my current home (265k mortgage vs 400k value) to get a down payment on a vacation rental property. 

So I own a home with some equity. I live in a big vacation rental market (75% of homes are vacation rentals). A home is coming up for sale 2 doors down(needs work but I can handle that part easy) for a decent price. How do I talk to a lender about getting this home? its for sale for 295k, would have an ARV of 385k, probably at least 50-60k in work, maybe clear 30-35k a year after expenses and upgrades. What and how do I ask a lender to get a loan on this property. I own a flooring store that I am also an employee of (its an S corp) and make about 90k a year. not sure if that helps. good credit and only payments are a truck that my company pays for 100% and a camper loan on top of my house mortgage.

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Kristen L GarnerBusiness Member
Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 451 posts · 287 votes
4y

Hi Jason, lender here! I'm an investor myself and specialize in working with investors. To use equity from your home to acquire the new property you would need to do a cash out refi or HELOC. In your situation I would recommend a cash out refi. Once you have the proceeds you can move forward with getting qualified for the purchase. If DTI, income, etc. are an issue for a conventional qualification, you could go the DSCR or non-QM route where only the asset itself is qualifying you. If you have any questions I'm happy to chat/help. Best of luck, Kristen.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kristen L GarnerBusiness Member
    Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 451 posts · 287 votes
    4y

    Hi Jason, lender here! I'm an investor myself and specialize in working with investors. To use equity from your home to acquire the new property you would need to do a cash out refi or HELOC. In your situation I would recommend a cash out refi. Once you have the proceeds you can move forward with getting qualified for the purchase. If DTI, income, etc. are an issue for a conventional qualification, you could go the DSCR or non-QM route where only the asset itself is qualifying you. If you have any questions I'm happy to chat/help. Best of luck, Kristen.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2021 · 129 posts · 89 votes
    4y

    Jason,

    I'll echo @Kristen L Garner response above as to your options being a cash-out refi or HELOC.

    I'd personally use a HELOC and focus on paying that off so you have that capital to use for another deal in the future

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Jason Riddick might work, You would need 80% LTV so 320-265= 55k minus a few thousand for closing costs/prepaid. Say 50

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.