Estimating property tax on flipped turnkey rental?

Estimating property tax on flipped turnkey rental?

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 6 votes

Hello BP, I am beginning to research turnkey rentals and am wondering how shrewd buyers estimate what the property tax will be for a 2023 SFH purchase whose tax records show the tax on the property before it was flipped. Example, I'm looking at a house in Memphis whose 2021 property tax Redfin shows as $338. The house was bought in 2022 for $50k and now the turnkey company (who likely flipped it) wants ~$130k for it. The turnkey company is also estimating the annual property tax to be about what it was in 2021 ($338.) Is it correct to estimate that if I buy the house for more than 2x what it sold for that the annual property tax would remain the same as it was pre-forced appreciation? Any advice here? This isn't a critique of the turnkey company—I'm looking for advice/info on how to think about this.

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walter JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 102 votes
    3y

    Hi Shannon. In Shelby County they reassess every 4 years. The last one was done in 2021, so the next one will be in 2025. There was a lot of anxiety about the last assessment, but they didn't really go up that much. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Thank you @Walter Jones Your response tells me I have a lot to learn about the property tax rules of the cities I'm researching. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.