Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Erik Dofelmier
Votes |
Buy or Build Duplex

Erik Dofelmier
Posted

Looking for advice. We currently own about a 1/2 acre lot here in SC. Would it be better to build a duplex to rent out, or sell the land and hope to 1031 exchange if for a multi-family property if and when one comes available?  Thx. 

Account Closed
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Construction costs are very high right now, but if you underwrite the financials and it makes sense, you could build some serious equity! This is a long and complicated process though, and requires you having a great team in place.

The advantage of selling the land is all the time/labor/money saved, and you could go find a property ready to cashflow NOW. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Dofelmier
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Account Closed:

Construction costs are very high right now, but if you underwrite the financials and it makes sense, you could build some serious equity! This is a long and complicated process though, and requires you having a great team in place.

The advantage of selling the land is all the time/labor/money saved, and you could go find a property ready to cashflow NOW. 

Thank you. One thing that was suggested to me was to use the property I own free and clear as collateral instead. I asked a local lender and they also suggested I could use the Multifamily property I want to purchase as collateral. What are the potential pitfalls of going that route if any?  Thanks. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Goodnough
  • New to Real Estate
  • Greer SC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Greer SC
Replied

Do you have a cost to build Duplex? I have a close friend/builder, he just finished one duplex and quoted me on a very nice one. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Dofelmier
Votes |
Replied

I don't, but I'm estimating around 250 a square foot which still makes it fairly high.  

User Stats

Votes
Mack Lengel
  • Smokies / Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Smokies / Greenville, SC
Replied
Quote from @Erik Dofelmier:

Looking for advice. We currently own about a 1/2 acre lot here in SC. Would it be better to build a duplex to rent out, or sell the land and hope to 1031 exchange if for a multi-family property if and when one comes available?  Thx. 

The land does not do you much good in its current state so something needs to be done.

I do not know what the land is worth or how feasible building would be, but if you can build it, it is likely that you would have some equity in the duplex when it is all said and done. They are a hot commodity here with folks looking to house hack! I know @Jonathan Anderson has worked well with them so he would be a good resource. 

The clock will be ticking on you from the day you close with the 1031 so do not let that force you into a bad deal if nothing becomes available

User Stats

Votes
Erik Dofelmier
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Mack Lengel:

The land does not do you much good in its current state so something needs to be done.

I do not know what the land is worth or how feasible building would be, but if you can build it, it is likely that you would have some equity in the duplex when it is all said and done. They are a hot commodity here with folks looking to house hack! I know @Jonathan Anderson has worked well with them so he would be a good resource. 

The clock will be ticking on you from the day you close with the 1031 so do not let that force you into a bad deal if nothing becomes available

Much appreciated, thanks!  I’m currently working with multiple builders to get quotes. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Anderson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Replied

Building a duplex would definitely be a solid option (assuming zoning allows) and likely more affordable than buying one on market. Duplexes are hard to find in this market, especially on the MLS, usually you have to find them off-market.

Shoot me a DM, I'd love to connect and see if I could refer builders to you.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

Run the numbers, thats all that matters 

User Stats

Votes
Ke Nan Wang
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • St. Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • St. Augustine, FL
Replied

A good question for you is how much knowledge do you have in construction of a house? If you are very knowledge about construction and just need to find a builder, then it shouldn't be too hard to find the right one and negotiate a price that will work for you and the builder. Once the project is done, you should have good amount of equity right away. And you should enjoy a good period of maintenance free and low insurance premium cost for your investment.

If you are not very knowledgable about building houses, or building quality houses, I would ask around and have an owner representative who can negotiate on your behalf (it can be a family member or trusty friends who have credible experience in the industry, or hire a third party professional such as a reputable architect/engineer). This is assuming you plan to build a quality house that's gonna be a very comfortable home for at least a quarter century with minimum corrective maintenance. Please note when I say quality I don't mean beautiful and fancy. You can still build a quality but cost efficient house. The focus are foundation, walls, insulation, water and air tight house envelope, good windows/doors and a solid roof. 

All the money and work done upfront (due diligence, design, hiring the right representative to cover your weaknesses) in new construction will pay off big time in the future. It's very easy to fall into the "cheap" quote trap when we are talking about quarter million dollar contracts. 

To us, we rarely buy second-hand houses anymore unless it's absolutely at a killer location. I trust ourselves to build quality houses and it's money well spent. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Dofelmier
Votes |
Replied

I appreciate the input and advice so far. Thank you. As of now we are under contract for a duplex with established tenants.

That said, I think we are leaning towards building the duplex on the land as the numbers (at first glance) seem to make the most sense, and we are in the process of working with various builders on quotes.