Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Justin Thind
  • Investor
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Inner-City Investing: What am I missing?

Justin Thind
  • Investor
  • Metro Detroit
Posted May 27 2023, 21:56

Hey everyone! I am about to close on my first single-family rental property soon, just two months after first dipping my toe into real estate research. It's in a regular B-grade type of area, and projects to have decent appreciation & good cashflow. Pretty ordinary stuff, but I'm already looking for the next deal. This time, maybe something different...

So when I posted this thread a little bit ago, one of the posters in there questioned my stance on avoiding inner-city properties, despite my plans to use always a property manager. I listed some reasons of avoidance that other trusted real estate pros told me including a lack of appreciation, higher repair costs (rougher tenants), higher vacancy rates, and occasional difficulty collecting rent.

Still, with that said, my eye kept wandering towards properties in Detroit city limits, and that brings me to posing the ensuing case to you all.

Looking at a property such as 20300 Albany St, Detroit, MI, it is listed for 39,900 and is turnkey (and looks pretty nice). The estimated monthly payment would probably be around $300 at the very most. Being moderately conservative, the estimated rent is looking like $1,100 per the BP calculator. Take out $110 from there for property management fees. Not including repair costs & vacancy, you're looking at a net profit of around $700

Not only is that the highest CoC return I've found (relative to non-Detroit addresses & neighborhoods), but I would also be able to pay this house off much more quickly than the other options in traditional neighborhoods and net its full potential much sooner.

So, my question to you all is this: What am I missing with these types of deals in general?

Let's say I'm okay with this house not appreciating much, and that I understand that I'll probably have to pay for slightly more repairs than with a house in Warren or Roseville for example. However, with that bottom line, why would that still not be worth it? Especially since I'm hiring a property manager regardless of where my houses would be.

Really appreciate any insight in advance! I'm sure many of you on this board (and many investors in my area) could easily afford houses like that in cash right now, yet I don't see those houses flying off the market at all, contrary to houses 2 miles north. I've gotta be missing something lol

(Note: The house I linked above is one of *many* similar options. My question is not about that house itself, otherwise I would've posted in the deal analysis subforum. My question is about this type of market/rental philosophy in general. Doesn't even have to pertain to Detroit. Take Baltimore, Cleveland, etc the same way).

Loading replies...