Tenant occupied property in WA state: agent won't share lease

Tenant occupied property in WA state: agent won't share lease

Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Newbie here: I want to place an offer on a tenant occupied duplex to owner occupy. In order to place an offer I requested copy of the leases and the 90 day notice to sell. The sellers agent refused and said only after an offer is accepted by the seller. Is that normal? I wanted to see when the 90 days was up so I could move in to one unit and remodel the other. 

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
2y
Quote from @Annmarie Hill:
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

Hey Annmarie, it's true that sellers sometimes withhold lease information to protect tenant privacy, I do find it a bit inconvenient not having full visibility before making an offer however, the seller might be concerned about protecting the tenants' privacy. In cases like these, you can structure your offer with contingencies that allow you to back out if the leases or the 90-day notice don't meet your expectations after review.

I can see that. They could redact that info for sure. I was trying to pick a closing date, and to confirm they have a termination clause in the lease. Any suggestions for verbiage on the contingency for lease review? Or do I out no closing date in the offer until I can review the lease terms and 90 day notice (she posted it on their door. I'm hoping that's considered legal service).

 I'd recommend asking an attorney, but here in ohio I usually say something along the lines of - Contingent on satisfactory review of lease and tenant ledger

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Annmarie Hill, yes in my area it is normal.

    What I would expect to know from them BEFORE making an offer is if the unit is occupied, what the rental rate is and whether they are on a lease or month to month.

    Reviewing the lease itself falls under your "due diligence" as part of the sales contract.

    So, the sales contract should specify any inspections etc you want to do, including reviewing a copy of the lease and also getting estoppel forms signed so that you know what the current rental situation is in detail and that the tenant is attesting to that so there are no disputes later.

    If you plan to move in, you should probably require them to make the unit vacant before closing because even if the tenant's lease is ending doesn't mean you won't have to then evict them which could take more months. 

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y

    Hey Annmarie, it's true that sellers sometimes withhold lease information to protect tenant privacy, I do find it a bit inconvenient not having full visibility before making an offer however, the seller might be concerned about protecting the tenants' privacy. In cases like these, you can structure your offer with contingencies that allow you to back out if the leases or the 90-day notice don't meet your expectations after review.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Yes, it is normal not to let you see the leases until you're under contract, but the agent should be able to let you know verbally when the leases are up or at least if one unit can be vacant by closing.  

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

    Hey Annmarie, it's true that sellers sometimes withhold lease information to protect tenant privacy, I do find it a bit inconvenient not having full visibility before making an offer however, the seller might be concerned about protecting the tenants' privacy. In cases like these, you can structure your offer with contingencies that allow you to back out if the leases or the 90-day notice don't meet your expectations after review.

    I can see that. They could redact that info for sure. I was trying to pick a closing date, and to confirm they have a termination clause in the lease. Any suggestions for verbiage on the contingency for lease review? Or do I out no closing date in the offer until I can review the lease terms and 90 day notice (she posted it on their door. I'm hoping that's considered legal service).
  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Annmarie Hill:
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

    Hey Annmarie, it's true that sellers sometimes withhold lease information to protect tenant privacy, I do find it a bit inconvenient not having full visibility before making an offer however, the seller might be concerned about protecting the tenants' privacy. In cases like these, you can structure your offer with contingencies that allow you to back out if the leases or the 90-day notice don't meet your expectations after review.

    I can see that. They could redact that info for sure. I was trying to pick a closing date, and to confirm they have a termination clause in the lease. Any suggestions for verbiage on the contingency for lease review? Or do I out no closing date in the offer until I can review the lease terms and 90 day notice (she posted it on their door. I'm hoping that's considered legal service).

     I'd recommend asking an attorney, but here in ohio I usually say something along the lines of - Contingent on satisfactory review of lease and tenant ledger

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:
    Quote from @Annmarie Hill:
    Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

    Hey Annmarie, it's true that sellers sometimes withhold lease information to protect tenant privacy, I do find it a bit inconvenient not having full visibility before making an offer however, the seller might be concerned about protecting the tenants' privacy. In cases like these, you can structure your offer with contingencies that allow you to back out if the leases or the 90-day notice don't meet your expectations after review.

    I can see that. They could redact that info for sure. I was trying to pick a closing date, and to confirm they have a termination clause in the lease. Any suggestions for verbiage on the contingency for lease review? Or do I out no closing date in the offer until I can review the lease terms and 90 day notice (she posted it on their door. I'm hoping that's considered legal service).

     I'd recommend asking an attorney, but here in ohio I usually say something along the lines of - Contingent on satisfactory review of lease and tenant ledger


     Thank you! I have a consult with an attorney scheduled for early next week. Trying to build a team in a rural area isn't easy. I appreciate your help!

  • Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:

    @Annmarie Hill, yes in my area it is normal.

    What I would expect to know from them BEFORE making an offer is if the unit is occupied, what the rental rate is and whether they are on a lease or month to month.

    Reviewing the lease itself falls under your "due diligence" as part of the sales contract.

    So, the sales contract should specify any inspections etc you want to do, including reviewing a copy of the lease and also getting estoppel forms signed so that you know what the current rental situation is in detail and that the tenant is attesting to that so there are no disputes later.

    If you plan to move in, you should probably require them to make the unit vacant before closing because even if the tenant's lease is ending doesn't mean you won't have to then evict them which could take more months. 

    Yes it would be ideal if they can be vacant prior to purchase. I will try to get the date they gave them the 90 day notice to sell. I believe in WA they still have to give them 60 days notice to vacate also. I am meeting with an attorney Tuesday to discuss. 
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Annmarie Hill:
    Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:

    @Annmarie Hill, yes in my area it is normal.

    What I would expect to know from them BEFORE making an offer is if the unit is occupied, what the rental rate is and whether they are on a lease or month to month.

    Reviewing the lease itself falls under your "due diligence" as part of the sales contract.

    So, the sales contract should specify any inspections etc you want to do, including reviewing a copy of the lease and also getting estoppel forms signed so that you know what the current rental situation is in detail and that the tenant is attesting to that so there are no disputes later.

    If you plan to move in, you should probably require them to make the unit vacant before closing because even if the tenant's lease is ending doesn't mean you won't have to then evict them which could take more months. 

    Yes it would be ideal if they can be vacant prior to purchase. I will try to get the date they gave them the 90 day notice to sell. I believe in WA they still have to give them 60 days notice to vacate also. I am meeting with an attorney Tuesday to discuss. 

    Yes, it really sounds like you need a real estate agent or lawyer here because you shouldn't be figuring these things out. You could use someone helping you that deals with these things all the time.

    Reinventing the wheel by figuring it out yourself just leaves yourself open to not protecting your interests as best you can.

    This is exactly the sort of thing a real estate agent would done for you right from the start.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.