How often do you recast your mortgage?

How often do you recast your mortgage?

Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 4 votes

What tool do you use to recast?

I've build a lot of equity in one of my properties and I am thinking about recasting to lower my monthly payment. 

Any advise is appreciated

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
2y

Recasting generally means making a lump sum payment to principal, which is an effective way to reduce your monthly payments. 

If you are talking about refinancing to stretch your payments out over a longer time, that is also an way to increase cashflow. 

An added bonus is that you will also boost the portion of your payments going to interest, which increases after-tax cashflow. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Cillian Kelly

    I never do because my rate is 3%. I can make 2-3x that investing it.

    If you have a higher rate it’s not a bad idea, and most do not even know what recasting their mortgage is but I think it boils down to can you do better investing it

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
    2y

    Recasting generally means making a lump sum payment to principal, which is an effective way to reduce your monthly payments. 

    If you are talking about refinancing to stretch your payments out over a longer time, that is also an way to increase cashflow. 

    An added bonus is that you will also boost the portion of your payments going to interest, which increases after-tax cashflow. 

  • Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    @Shafi Noss @Chris Seveney

    Hello, thank you for the responses. A little bit more context, I have a 6.5% interest mortgage that I have been prepaying overtime with extra cashflow from my rental. I've build enough equity and now looking to recast or lower my monthly payment to get more cashflow out for a new project. 

    Refinancing right now doesn't make sense, if anything I will prob get similar rate and pay closing costs. 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Cillian Kelly:

    @Shafi Noss @Chris Seveney

    Hello, thank you for the responses. A little bit more context, I have a 6.5% interest mortgage that I have been prepaying overtime with extra cashflow from my rental. I've build enough equity and now looking to recast or lower my monthly payment to get more cashflow out for a new project. 

    Refinancing right now doesn't make sense, if anything I will prob get similar rate and pay closing costs. 


     makes sense to pay it down since the rate is 6.5%. Investing that delta may have you break even after taxes versus mortgage. If I was you I would be doing the same. One thing to note is by paying it down, it can hurt liquidity so if that is an issue, keeping it in a bank account would be a better bet, but if liquidity not an issue, then I agree 100%

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.