Direct mail letters, labels or hand written

8 Replies

I'm to send out some direct mail letters, but I need to know if I can send them with handwritten labels. Or do I have to hand write them myself. I want to use clear labels and print the addresses on the labels. I was told by someone that sending direct mail letters with labels was the kiss of death. Just need another opinion. Thanks in advance.

@Jamane Y. not sure I quite follow your question. Are you going to handwrite the address on a label and then apply that label to the envelope?

What is the advantage to you over handwriting on the envelope itself?

I really don't want to hand write the envelopes, but a past investor told me that it was a kiss of death to send out direct mail pieces with addresses on labels. So I'm trying to figure out how to do this as efficiently as possible on limited funds.

Do half and half and track it.

I've sent out mostly hand written postcards and have had very minimal response rate. Granted, my list is a bit random. I did driving for dollars so I have no idea about the financial condition of the owner.

OTOH, I did send out mailers to delinquent tax owners who were facing forefeiture. Those were not hand written and I got a great response. Its going to depend on your list first and then the label in my opinion.

Thank you @Steven Johnson, I will try both. I have a combination of delinquent tax owners and driving for dollars. Also I was hoping to use the invisible labels instead of the basic white mailing labels. Thanks again.

@Jamane Y. the most important thing is to pick a strategy and just start mailing. You will get opinions from all of us, but sending out the letters in any fashion will get your phone ringing and get you experience which is all that matters in the beginning.

You can refine the process over time, and as you build up funds start to outsource the mailings.

thanks @Dave Savage I needed to get another opinion. The person helping me was an investor in the 80s and is not very tech savvy. So I see things a little differently sometimes. But I agreed I'm going to mail most with invisible labels and hand address the postcards until my hands get tired. Thanks again

I've found hand written envelopes get higher response rates. With handwritten notes inside. Search on yellow letters here at BP. Many have gone before us.

I've found that if I use Urgent in a postcard that I got about a 1.5% response and If I use a yellow letter I got just a little better of a response, but it cost more. I used www.gobigyellowletter.com for both of my direct mail runs. I just bought another 2,050 names and plan to mix it up to see if there is really a big difference. I'm now working on my pitch.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.