Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Cannon
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Is this a good strategy for a first time investor?

Jacob Cannon
  • Clearwater, FL
Posted Apr 2 2014, 11:10

So I have really been into REI lately and doing a lot of research and I think it's about time I develop and short term and long term plan. Just some info, I have very little capital. Anyway I was wondering If i could have some insight on what investment vehicle to pursue for a first time investor with little capital.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Option one: Finance an owner-occupied duplex/triplex with a FHA loan and only 3.5% down payment. I have the money and the credit score requirement but I do not meet the 2 year employment requirement. Also this option seems very slow with minimal cashflow. And I want cashflow for future investments

Option two: Look into buying and holding small/less expensive properties, at first (due to my little capital) renting them for cash flow for later investments. Seems the most reasonable and doable to my knowledge at this point.

Option three: Partnering with other investors, lots of networking on my part, on flips until i raise enough capital to start funding my own flips. This one is a longshot but seems like it would make more significant gains faster. But also more risk involved.

Right now I guess what sounds best is to buy and hold, rent to build some cashflow and then transition into flipping. What do you guys think??

Insight and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated =)

Loading replies...