How to valuate a property with few comps or demo the home.

5 Replies

So I am working the number to place my first offer on a house to wholesale. 2/1, 972sqft, 1.99acres, built 1948 and surrounded by solds of superior homes from $120-236K. Asking price 80K with one failed deal as previous buyer failed to show up on the last closing. Owner died and sons trying to sell it. Only problem I am having with creating a value is that homes like this one have not sold in the area yet are under .5 acres compared to most of the other homes that are either new construction or 2+ more bedrooms and baths. Also, the home is in such poor condition the seller said it should torn down and rebuilt. How do you valuate a property where the majority of the value is in the land as the house structure takes away value because of it's condition? How do you valuate a home where rehab cost are more than the value of the structure or using demo cost. Where do I get demolition and rebuilding costs? Any help will work. Thanks

You just have to be honest about the condition of the house and present different options on what the buyer could do with the land. You can get a contractors opinion for rehab and a demolition price estimate. But it seems that in general if superior homes to the one you talking about are being sold at only 120-136K, there doesn't seem to be a lot of meat on the bone to wholesale it. I don't know the specific numbers of your deal, but if the ARV is 120k or less and the purchase price is 80. And if there is substantial rehab, it doesn't seem like there's enough cushion to make it a viable deal for all the people involved. Maybe its worth just buying , doing a demolition and selling?

A few examples of basic demolition projects:

• Demolition of a 750 square foot (25×30) 2 car detached garage could cost from $2.00-$5.00 per square foot making the price range from $1,500-$3,750.
  • Demolition of a 1500 square foot residential house could cost from $2.00-$6.00 per sq. ft. making the price range from $3,000-$9,000.
  • Demolition of a 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse or office building could cost from $4.00-$8.00 per sq. ft. making the price range from $40,000-$80,000. Interior Demolition of the same 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse could cost from $2.00-$6.00 per sq. ft. making the price range from $20,000-$60,000.

@Kevin Fletcher. Thank you Kevin. What you said makes since. I think I will see if I can find a builder for this as the sellers alre looking to sell just under tax value. I had another member inbox me telling me that sometimes you can get the local fire department to use the house as a burn training house for new firefighters and then just haul the debris after they finish burning it to save on demo cost.

Would it make since to try to wholesale it to a particular builder or would any builder do?

You are in North Carolina, wait till the next hurricane season and may be it'll be taken care of! I know whenever storms come our way in Florida we always bet on it to take a northerly turn.

@Jonathan Jones Did you try negotiating with the seller that you'll probably have to knock the house down and pay to haul it away? Or is that why they're willing to go a little bit below tax value? I don't need to know the address, but what part of town is it in? If it's a nicer part of town, I may know a contractor that does that builds homes. PM me if you'd like, or give me a call.

-Dante

@Jonathan Jones ,

To make the @ work, do the following:

Hold down the shift key and type @?

Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.

Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.

If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.

Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.

Raymond

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.