$440,000 to invest with 1031

$440,000 to invest with 1031

Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes

I’m currently working through a 1031 exchange and will have $440,000 to reinvest. I'm new to rental property investing and exploring my options. I'd love to hear from experienced investors:

If this were your money, how would you invest it?
Would you go with one property, multiple smaller ones, turnkey, light rehab, long-term or short-term rentals?

6Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Joey BanasihanPro Member
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
1y

Hey @Marcie Sullivan — we help a lot of folks navigate this, especially those new to rental investing and looking to preserve momentum while growing long-term wealth.

If this were my $440K, I’d be asking:
Do I want to prioritize appreciation, cash flow, or tax efficiency — or some mix of all three?

A lot of our 1031 clients are choosing high appreication markets where there’s strong population and wage growth, landlord-friendly laws, and solid long-term appreciation potential. From there, I'd focus on value-add deals — properties that might need light rehab or better management, but allow you to grow equity faster and reuse that capital down the line.

You could also explore STR (short-term rental) tax strategies, where if structured correctly (especially if you materially participate), you can save tens of thousands in taxes through bonus depreciation. It's not for everyone — but it's a powerful option depending on your income and goals.

Happy to break this down further if helpful or share examples of how others have structured it. Are you hoping to keep things relatively passive or are you open to some hands-on work for a stronger return?

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    If you are new to real estate investing, a 1031 exchange creates a lot of risk for you.  You are under serious time pressure to buy something and if you don't know what you are doing you can make really bad decisions.

    The profit-maximizing decision may be to simply sell, even if you have to pay capital gains tax.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Thanks so much for your input — I really appreciate it. This is actually my second 1031 exchange. My first property was purchased at $185K and is now under contract to sell for $447K, so I’ve seen firsthand how powerful this strategy can be.

    You’re absolutely right — there’s definitely pressure, especially with the timeline. But with solid advice, smart planning, and a lot of hustle on my part, I’m confident I can keep the momentum going and make the next move count.

  • Joey BanasihanPro Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
    1y

    Hey @Marcie Sullivan — we help a lot of folks navigate this, especially those new to rental investing and looking to preserve momentum while growing long-term wealth.

    If this were my $440K, I’d be asking:
    Do I want to prioritize appreciation, cash flow, or tax efficiency — or some mix of all three?

    A lot of our 1031 clients are choosing high appreication markets where there’s strong population and wage growth, landlord-friendly laws, and solid long-term appreciation potential. From there, I'd focus on value-add deals — properties that might need light rehab or better management, but allow you to grow equity faster and reuse that capital down the line.

    You could also explore STR (short-term rental) tax strategies, where if structured correctly (especially if you materially participate), you can save tens of thousands in taxes through bonus depreciation. It's not for everyone — but it's a powerful option depending on your income and goals.

    Happy to break this down further if helpful or share examples of how others have structured it. Are you hoping to keep things relatively passive or are you open to some hands-on work for a stronger return?

  • Jordan RayBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 630 posts · 328 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcie Sullivan:

    I’m currently working through a 1031 exchange and will have $440,000 to reinvest. I'm new to rental property investing and exploring my options. I'd love to hear from experienced investors:

    If this were your money, how would you invest it?
    Would you go with one property, multiple smaller ones, turnkey, light rehab, long-term or short-term rentals?


    Memphis TN and cash flowing rentals! 

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    GREAT info!! 

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    @Jordan Ray thanks will look into that area!!

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    @Joey Banasihan btw so much of what you said is spot on with what chat suggested. Appreciate you taking the time to help me.

  • Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Marcie Sullivan,

    Welcome, and congrats on the 1031 exchange - that’s a powerful move, especially as you're transitioning into rental property investing!

    If I were in your shoes with $440,000 to reinvest, I’d be thinking diversification and scalability. Here’s how I’d break it down:

    1. Multiple Properties Over One Big One
    Spreading that capital across 3–5 properties in different growth markets can reduce risk and increase your cash flow potential. Instead of being tied to one market (or one tenant), you diversify across cities and property types.

     2. Turnkey for Simplicity & Speed
    As someone new to rentals, I’d lean toward turnkey properties - new builds or fully renovated, tenant-ready, and professionally managed. This lets you start collecting rent almost immediately with minimal headaches, especially if you’re investing out of state or balancing a full-time job.

    3. Focus on Landlord-Friendly, Affordable Markets
    Midwest and Southeast markets like Birmingham, Huntsville, Kansas City, and parts of Florida are popular right now. They offer:

    Strong rent-to-price ratios
    Affordable entry points ($100K–$150K range)
    Stable appreciation potential
    Lower property taxes and maintenance costs

    4. Mix in One “Light Rehab” if You're Comfortable
    If you’re open to learning the ropes and have a trusted team, allocating part of your funds to a light rehab can boost equity quickly. But don’t feel pressured to start there.

    5. Long-Term Rentals for Consistency
    Lately, long-term rentals have been more stable than short-term in many markets, especially with tighter regulations and STR saturation in some areas. They're easier to finance, easier to manage remotely, and more predictable for new investors.

    With $440K, you have the power to build a strong, diversified portfolio that generates cash flow and appreciates. If you'd like, I can show you some turnkey options across different markets so you can see what kind of returns to expect.

    Wishing you all the best in this next chapter! You're in a great position to grow. Let me know if you need help in evaluating markets or deals side by side - always here!

    Melissa

    • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2025 · 8 posts · 23 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Melissa Justice:

      @Marcie Sullivan,

      Welcome, and congrats on the 1031 exchange - that’s a powerful move, especially as you're transitioning into rental property investing!

      If I were in your shoes with $440,000 to reinvest, I’d be thinking diversification and scalability. Here’s how I’d break it down:

      1. Multiple Properties Over One Big One
      Spreading that capital across 3–5 properties in different growth markets can reduce risk and increase your cash flow potential. Instead of being tied to one market (or one tenant), you diversify across cities and property types.

       2. Turnkey for Simplicity & Speed
      As someone new to rentals, I’d lean toward turnkey properties - new builds or fully renovated, tenant-ready, and professionally managed. This lets you start collecting rent almost immediately with minimal headaches, especially if you’re investing out of state or balancing a full-time job.

      3. Focus on Landlord-Friendly, Affordable Markets
      Midwest and Southeast markets like Birmingham, Huntsville, Kansas City, and parts of Florida are popular right now. They offer:

      Strong rent-to-price ratios
      Affordable entry points ($100K–$150K range)
      Stable appreciation potential
      Lower property taxes and maintenance costs

      4. Mix in One “Light Rehab” if You're Comfortable
      If you’re open to learning the ropes and have a trusted team, allocating part of your funds to a light rehab can boost equity quickly. But don’t feel pressured to start there.

      5. Long-Term Rentals for Consistency
      Lately, long-term rentals have been more stable than short-term in many markets, especially with tighter regulations and STR saturation in some areas. They're easier to finance, easier to manage remotely, and more predictable for new investors.

      With $440K, you have the power to build a strong, diversified portfolio that generates cash flow and appreciates. If you'd like, I can show you some turnkey options across different markets so you can see what kind of returns to expect.

      Wishing you all the best in this next chapter! You're in a great position to grow. Let me know if you need help in evaluating markets or deals side by side - always here!

      Melissa

      This is exactly what I would have said, and actually what I plan to do in the next year or so, but with about $360k. I think this is a great answer!
    • Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
      Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Lauren Adair:
      Quote from @Melissa Justice:

      @Marcie Sullivan,

      Welcome, and congrats on the 1031 exchange - that’s a powerful move, especially as you're transitioning into rental property investing!

      If I were in your shoes with $440,000 to reinvest, I’d be thinking diversification and scalability. Here’s how I’d break it down:

      1. Multiple Properties Over One Big One
      Spreading that capital across 3–5 properties in different growth markets can reduce risk and increase your cash flow potential. Instead of being tied to one market (or one tenant), you diversify across cities and property types.

       2. Turnkey for Simplicity & Speed
      As someone new to rentals, I’d lean toward turnkey properties - new builds or fully renovated, tenant-ready, and professionally managed. This lets you start collecting rent almost immediately with minimal headaches, especially if you’re investing out of state or balancing a full-time job.

      3. Focus on Landlord-Friendly, Affordable Markets
      Midwest and Southeast markets like Birmingham, Huntsville, Kansas City, and parts of Florida are popular right now. They offer:

      Strong rent-to-price ratios
      Affordable entry points ($100K–$150K range)
      Stable appreciation potential
      Lower property taxes and maintenance costs

      4. Mix in One “Light Rehab” if You're Comfortable
      If you’re open to learning the ropes and have a trusted team, allocating part of your funds to a light rehab can boost equity quickly. But don’t feel pressured to start there.

      5. Long-Term Rentals for Consistency
      Lately, long-term rentals have been more stable than short-term in many markets, especially with tighter regulations and STR saturation in some areas. They're easier to finance, easier to manage remotely, and more predictable for new investors.

      With $440K, you have the power to build a strong, diversified portfolio that generates cash flow and appreciates. If you'd like, I can show you some turnkey options across different markets so you can see what kind of returns to expect.

      Wishing you all the best in this next chapter! You're in a great position to grow. Let me know if you need help in evaluating markets or deals side by side - always here!

      Melissa

      This is exactly what I would have said, and actually what I plan to do in the next year or so, but with about $360k. I think this is a great answer!

       Glad I could help! DM me if you want to Chat more :-)

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcie Sullivan:

    I’m currently working through a 1031 exchange and will have $440,000 to reinvest. I'm new to rental property investing and exploring my options. I'd love to hear from experienced investors:

    If this were your money, how would you invest it?
    Would you go with one property, multiple smaller ones, turnkey, light rehab, long-term or short-term rentals?

    Congrats on the 1031—solid move to keep that equity working. If I were in your shoes, I'd lean toward diversifying across 2–3 cash-flowing properties in landlord-friendly markets. Personally, I like light rehab or value-add long-term rentals where you can boost equity and rents without major risk. Turnkey is easier but comes with thinner returns. If you have solid boots on the ground or a great PM, MTR or STR near hospitals or travel hubs can outperform—but requires more involvement. It all comes down to your time, risk tolerance, and goals.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcie Sullivan:

    I’m currently working through a 1031 exchange and will have $440,000 to reinvest. I'm new to rental property investing and exploring my options. I'd love to hear from experienced investors:

    If this were your money, how would you invest it?
    Would you go with one property, multiple smaller ones, turnkey, light rehab, long-term or short-term rentals?

    Hey Marcie, congrats on the 1031 exchange! With $440K to work with, you’ve got a lot of flexibility. If it were me and I was newer to rentals, I’d lean toward diversifying across multiple smaller properties rather than putting it all into one big deal—just spreads the risk a bit more and gives you more options down the line. I’d also lean toward long-term rentals, especially if your goal is steady cash flow and you're not looking for a full-time job rehabbing or managing turnovers. One market I’d definitely look into is Columbus, Ohio. I moved here from Portland back in 2020 to invest and now own 10+ rentals here. It’s still one of the few cities where you can find solid properties in the $120–180K range that hit the 1% rule and cash flow from day one. Plus, the macro story here is super strong—tons of job growth and population growth, and huge developments from Intel, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Honda, LG, and more. The appreciation potential is real, but you’re still able to get in at a low price point compared to a lot of other metros. If you structure it right, your $440K could potentially get you 3–4 cash-flowing properties in good areas here, and that could be a really solid foundation for your portfolio. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    1y

    I'm with @Greg Scott, I think your risk of making a bad move in this market environment is higher than your tax obligation. You're likely looking at $30k tax obligation, and you can lose more than that working under time constraints. I know that feels like a lot to give up this early in your investment journey, but I suggest you do more analysis to get a better sense of your risk/reward. 

    depending what market you're in; you may be better off putting your gains into a high yield savings account and get back into the market 6-12 months down the line. 

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcie Sullivan:

    I’m currently working through a 1031 exchange and will have $440,000 to reinvest. I'm new to rental property investing and exploring my options. I'd love to hear from experienced investors:

    If this were your money, how would you invest it?
    Would you go with one property, multiple smaller ones, turnkey, light rehab, long-term or short-term rentals?

     Are you on the clock already? Tons. It is really up to you and your preferences and your  tolerance. Are you very involved with your investments? Are you in an area where you can invest near you? Any experience investing OOS? 

    Don't ask people how they would invest it. Especially random agents on the internet wanting to take advantage of your scenario... 

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Marcie Sullivan With $440,000 from a 1031 exchange, most investors would aim to diversify across 2–4 rental properties rather than buying one large asset. This spreads risk, improves cash flow stability, and increases depreciation opportunities. You could target turnkey long-term rentals for simplicity, or light rehab properties to force appreciation. Short-term rentals offer higher income potential, but require more active management, ideal if you qualify for Real Estate Professional Status (REPS) or use the STR loophole to offset W-2 income with bonus depreciation.

    To fully defer capital gains taxes, reinvest both equity and debt within the 1031 exchange deadlines. Work closely with a real estate CPA to structure the purchase and depreciation strategy correctly. If you'd like, I can share a downloadable 1031 planning checklist or REPS readiness worksheet.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcie Sullivan:

    I’m currently working through a 1031 exchange and will have $440,000 to reinvest. I'm new to rental property investing and exploring my options. I'd love to hear from experienced investors:

    If this were your money, how would you invest it?
    Would you go with one property, multiple smaller ones, turnkey, light rehab, long-term or short-term rentals?


    My approach would be to offer multiple options, covering various asset classes. This way, you can run multiple strategies simultaneously and analyze more deals. If you limit yourself too much, you might miss out on the exchange period. I've recently been focusing on purchasing triple net commercial deals, and I've secured three deals so far – I'm now looking to expand my portfolio.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.