$8,000 dollars to invest and I don't know where to start

2 Replies

I'm a new guy here, I'm a college student and looking to get into real estate. I'm studying construction management and feel this is a passion of mine. I have an investor and $8,000 -$10,000 dollars to invest. What price range should I be looking for? I want to cash flow and rent. Should I mess with a fix up property? What type of property would be best?

@Matt Hendrickson These are all way too general questions and there are so many variables to each person's situation for anyone to guess what's right for you. You have to figure most of these things out by learning your market, knowing your personal financial circumstances and time available to pursue a strategy.

I recommend you turn off your radio in your vehicle and listen to every podcast until you are caught up and waiting for the next one to come out the following Thursday. Each one is like a short course on a different strategy and that will help you figure out what you are drawn to. Lookup the recommended reading list here on BP, which you can also build by listening to the podcasts.

Your questions are all good questions, but you have to find the answers that are right for you.

@Matt Hendrickson

bird dog properties and use your cash for EM deposits.. but make sure they are fully refundable within a certain amount of days if you can't flip the contract

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.