Possible Mentor?

3 Replies

I was browsing Craigslist when I came across an ad about Real Estate Mentoring. I spoke with the person on the phone and did some research on Google for reviews. I did not see any reviews, but my findings concluded that the person who posted the ad was a legitimate real estate investor. HIs program consists of continuous learning of any area of REI, he'll walk me through deals step-by-step, and he's assessable whenever I need him.

When he and I spoke on the phone he said he is a nationwide mentor and his fee was a one-time payment of $200 through PayPal. Since PayPal is a legitimate e-currency I felt a little more comfortable about his mentorship program.

What other steps should I make to ensure that I am not being scammed and so I am covered on my end?

NO, NO NO,

Red Flag is $200

If you need help I will be happy to guide you. My fee is $0.

Kelly, personally I would stay away from this paid mentor. If this "mentor" collects $200 from a 100 people, they made a nice little chunk of money. I don't I don't think you would get your money back from PayPal either. Instead, you should upgrade to the Bigger Pockets Pro subscription where you would have access to other experienced investors.

Additionally, you should try and find a mentor in the area you are investing; that way the "mentor" will be more familiar with the laws of state/city you are doing business. If you have specific questions, you can PM me too.

Thank you for your responses. I will PM the both of you. I looked for a local mentor, but the problem was her fee was around $1000 and her package included only two phone calls a month.

I sent the both of you collegue requests.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you