Who should I find first, buyer or seller?

13 Replies

I'm looking. Into wholesale for rehab investor. And I'm not sure where to start.

Should I first find a deal and then should get a buyer? Or should I aim for both at the same time?

I'm looking for the safest route

Thanks in advance

On most of the training I have received, I have been taught to start building your buyers list first, find out what type of properties each of your buyers are into, how much of a reno are they looking to take on, price range, etc and thengo out and start looking for those deals.

by the way as a whole seller what contacts so I need? As in beside a mentor. Do I need a realtor, lawyer etc?

Honestly man I know this sounds crazy but just jump into it. Doesn't really matter. You'll get different opinions from different investors saying find buyers first and vice versa. I found leads first and then buyers. Honestly I wish I would have established a buyers list first just so I could seek out certain properties but hey it still worked out. Just put your foot in the door first.

"Feed your faith and doubt will starve"

Hi @juansoto

I'm by far not a pro but I did do the massive action part already. 725 mail pieces and 100 phone calls later no deals well had two but they fell through. I can say find the deal first. If it's truly a deal it will sell fast. I've gotten probably 12 buyers just from Craig's list and believe it or not fom some of the return phone calls. I mailed to absentee owners and ran across a few investors.

Based on my experience, in a rising market, whoever gets the good deal - makes the money. Find a good deal and the buyer will show up. I update BP on what's happening in my real estate business on a weekly basis. Click below. As you will see in the link, a lot of times, we don't have a buyer for a deal...but when we get a good deal, the buyer is easy to find.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/121707-real-life-of-a-real-estate-investor

@Juan Soto it's good to have a mentor on your first few deals and split the money 50/50. If you learn how to do comps, research properties, check out market value etc... Then in the beginning you really won't need an agent. Find out in your area if you have to use attorney or title companies for your deals (do that by calling around). Hope this helps good luck

thank you all for your cooperation and wisdom! I will sure put them to good use

@Juan Soto I have seen this question come up a lot.. In my opinion you need to start looking at deals, get educated on your market.. Finding great deals and executing on them is the difficult part of wholesaling! If you have a great deal, you will have a buyer!
You want distressed properties in good working class areas, with good schools! Best of luck!!!

A newbie with 10,000 buyers still has no check.

A newbie with a deal has a check coming their way.

Its all about the deals deals deals

@Juan Soto

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Couple good reads

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Great question. I was thinking about the same thing. I have been reading Than Merill's book, the wholesaling bible. I am half way through.

planning on attending a local REI club in June to network and ask investors/buyers what they are looking for.

Just remember a LOT of investors never attend these clubs. I can only speak for my own market but I've only sold one deal to a person who attends real estate meetings. The big dogs who are the best buyers are usually too busy doing deals to attend.

Title reports / data tells you everything. Because it is real data on actual sales in your market. Hands down the best thing to follow for trends, and finding buyers.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.