Questions about your career as a real estate investor. - Answers will help me graduate high school - please help

1 Reply

Well I couldn't quite decide how I should title this post so I apologize in advance for any confusion. I am graduating high school this year and am looking to get into the real estate investing business as a career in the future. Because of this I have been asked to talk to real estate professionals so I went to one of the meetings held by my local real estate investors association, I recorded my interview using my phone and unfortunately the phone decided to crash on me at the last moment. 

Wholesalers, rehabbers, and landlords preferred*

I have chosen the friendly professionals or even the beginners at BiggerPockets to help me by answering a few simple interview questions, I will not edit any responses and they will be shown to the administrators at my school during a presentation, so please keep it clean and restate the question in your responses. Profile names will be used if a preferred one is not specified; Thanks for any help and assistance provided!

Question 1:

How did you hear about the real estate investing business?

Question 2:

Did you attend any seminars, pay for any books, or attend any classes? How did these classes help you in your career as a real estate investor?

Question 3:

What kind of experience did/do you have that you believe makes you/will make you a successful real estate investor?

Question 4:

How much time do you usually spend looking or advertising for new properties, whether it's to find new wholesale deals, new properties to rehab, or properties well suited for a buy and hold?

Question 5:

How stressful or exciting would you say your job is?

Question 6:

Where do you see yourself in another 5 years?

Question 7:

Have you learned anything valuable that you would like to share with a beginner like myself?

Question 8:

Is there anything else you would like to share with me? Seriously, anything.. Of course, relating to real estate investing..

So just a few simple or fun to answer questions! Thanks again for any help provided!

Welcome to BP.

Q1: Don't recall. Knew about it in 1976 or so... before the Internet, mobile phones... almost everything we take for granted. My kids would say before electricity.
Q2: Al Lowry. Way before BP and the Internet. Didn't learn much... other than sales people should be regulated
Q3: 4 year degree and a prior career in software development. The lesson is discipline. Not unlike life...
Q4: Lately, 0 hrs./month. Know your RE cycles. In a seller's market, don't buy. Sell under-performing assets instead.
Q5: As PM for my company, my job sucks. RE reality is that people in it full time need to treat it as a job. Sometimes the job sucks. It's not all gravy.
Q6: On a boat fishing Lake Erie with my step father. Managing remotely... with an occasional drop-in.
Q7: When in court, always be polite. Be on time. While I am almost always plaintiff, I make sure I follow the rules. Be prepared. Spend a few hours in small claims/eviction court to know the process.
Q8: Educate yourself. If you are going to college, take some business classes. If not, either get your RE license or at least take the training. Read your state's general statutes. Know the laws. A RE license for most is an asset, but for some (a small % who happen to be multi-millionaires) it is not needed and really would be a liability.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you