Inspector vs. Contractor: Who's better for Rehabbing?

3 Replies

When buying or looking to buy a new home whose better to check out the house a contractor or an inspector? I've read and heard conflicting views on both. What are the upsides and downsides of both?

@Mario Lowe  It's not that simple. The question is, what are the qualifications of each?  A licensed contractor is perfectly capable of doing inspections, and they know what is involved and costs of repairs. A good inspector may have all the same qualifications without the benefit of having a license. 

Thank you, I think I'll go with a licensed contractor since they can provide both the price and get my building up to code

My out of state investors feel more comfortable having a "second set of eyes" on the property when under contract.  I put both the contractor and the inspector in most houses.  Interestingly, all three of us will miss something usually, but with all three sets of eyes, when you have that much of a project in place, will serve a good purpose in finding most/all of the needs of a property.

A fully experienced and aware broker cannot see everything.  A contractor may not specialize in identifying an electrical hazard as a single example, where the inspector has nothing more involved in the property other than a fee.  He/she has less vested interest in the deal and SHOULD be more inclined to find Everything.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here