Should I relocate?

7 Replies

Hey there everyone! Im new to bigger pockets and starting to look at my future goals. Im 26yrs old single and living in Maryland currently. Im from New Jersey but my job sends me all over to work on assignments and I may not be back in Jersey for 2yrs. Now thats fine but I was considering saving the money I'm making and buying a home for my family (Aunt and cousins who I grew up with). I want to stay in Jersey but feel I will get a better bang for my buck elsewhere as far as appreciation and property tax (in addition to nicer homes for half the price in Jersey). Not looking into schools or starting a family so thats not a factor for me. I want a home that will gain good appreciation and also looking to buy investment properties in the area I move to as well. I think the Phoenix area is where I'd like to relocate and from what I'm told would be a better investment for my money. Any opinions, advice? Im kind of fresh out the womb on all this. I would love to stay in Jersey but I dont want to lose out on big opportunities just because I'm sentimental. Thankful for any advice or commentary anyone can provide. 

@Jonathan Blandino What part of Jersey are you from ? NJ is an amazing place to invest. Save up for the next few years, do your research. Being that you have 2 years in your current location I see that as an amazing opportunity to focus on REI and come 2016 you will be more then ready to get your feet wet.

Hey @Shawn M.  

I'm from Northern Jersey, out in Paterson, but want to move my family out of the area altogether. If I stayed in Jersey it would probably be upper Passaic County or in Bergen County. 

@Jonathan Blandino  unless your looking to get your family out of the area asap I think the next 2 years serves as an amazing opportunity for you to save and learn.  

Are you excited for USA v Germany tomorrow? I will be honest, I made sure to schedule appointments around the game.

Yes, I believe we can wait it out a bit. Both my cousin and I will be gone on assignment and can bring back a good amount of cash for investments. 

Am I? The last game was great. Watched down in DC since everyone was in World Cup fever. I will be working all day tomorrow but lunch will be strategically placed in the second half of the game.

@Jonathan Blandino  if you are looking to be a buy and hold investor and rent out your investment properties, I would re-look some of your search criteria.  Schools and crime rate are key metrics your potential renters will be looking at.  better school district should command higher rents and better cash flow, all other things being equal 

Ah yes, I guess I didn't think about that. For myself and family, crime is a factor but not schools. Yet if I decided to purchase buy and hold properties in addition to my personal home that would become a factor. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you