How can I do while living abroad to prepare to invest when I return to Texas?

5 Replies

Howdy. I've been living in Japan for 3 years and reading Kiyosaki's books all the while. I'm dead-sold on building a rental property portfolio when I come back to Texas in 2015 sometime to the DFW area.

Can anyone recommend a method to hone my deal-finding skills while abroad? 

Just to mention, I'm having trouble find way to hone my comping skills by web alone.

Thanks!

@Zachary D. - Welcome to BP. Look into a paid service called Courthouse Retrieval System (CRS). I think it's available in Texas. It has a very good built-in comp system.

Thank you so much for the tip. Despite hours of reading, I hadn't seen that yet!

@Zachary D.  Start connecting with BP members in DFW.  You have plenty of time to screen a good team so when you make your return home you can start things up ASAP.   Use the search tab on BP and search topics like "investment friendly realtor" see who is being recommended. Private message some of the DFW members to get a more personal feel as to why you should use one person or another and in the process build a relationship with members. Anytime you run into a question/concern make a post and ask the BP community.  

I would SAVE SAVE SAVE!!! Our biggest obstacle has been the financial backing. Down Payment, Debt to Income and Reserve Requirements. Therefore while you are putting your team together, learning and networking. Make sure you get your financial position together in the best possible way! It will make everything else so much easier!

Hi, Elizabeth. Thank you!

I have been saving as aggressively as I can in these 3 years and I plan to work full-time when I come back to the United States. I know I'll have enough for a downpayment on a property in my area. But, my work history will be short because I'll be newly employed upon return. So, I gotta work that out. 

Thanks again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.