How do you analyze a prospective property to see if it makes sense as a rental?

5 Replies

What resources or tools do you use and what numbers do you crunch?

well I tried the analyze tool and it appears it wasted 5 minutes of my time. Once I keyed in all my data it tried to sell me an upgrade with no option to move forward without purchasing the upgrade.

Unless I'm using it wrong, it would have been nice for them to tell me that up front and not sneakily collect all my data on my prospective property without me being able to get to the calculated data I was expecting.

I'll probably have to try a tool from another site I suppose.

Back when I rented, I preferred a 2 bed 2 bath on the first floor....with washer and dryer in the unit.  While a pool sounded nice, I never used it.  In terms of numbers, I wasn't making much back then so rent took up an entire weeks pay.  Of course, I compared rent with competition to get the best deal.  Now that I own several houses, I think about things entirely different.  Just get a recent copy of apartment guide and you should be fine....unless you don't want an apartment. 

there is a book called multifamily millions by David lindahl and the ABCs of real estate investing by ken McElroy. Both are very helpful in learning how to analyze a property.

Steve

We use CAP 8%+, Debt Coverage Ratio 1.6%+, Cash on Cash return 12%+

With those achieved profit for you and a good return for your investors.

Paul

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.